kramer's quad rail humbuckers

bladerunner

• Members

hello lads / ladies:

I looking for insight and opinions on kramers' quad rail humbucker design on those striker FR series guitars.

specifically those quad rail humbucker that come in on the following specs:

Neck: Canadian Hard Maple

Neck Profile: Elliptical, Slim-Taper

Construction: Bolt-On

Top: Flame Maple

Body: North American Alder

Neck Pickup: Quad-Rail Humbucker (N4S)

Middle Pickup: Dual-Rail Humbucker (M2S)

Bridge Pickup: Quad-Rail Humbucker (B4S)

Controls: 5-Way Pickup Selector

Master Volume

MasterTone with

Push/Pull "Quad to Dual-Rail" Dual-Tap Mode

- IN: 4 coils x 1 pickups = All 4 coils engaged

- OUT: 2 coils x 1 pickups = 2 coils engaged

(Bridge Pickup only. Coils closest to the neck is engaged)

- Hum-canceling in both positions

Bridge: Kramer "Floyd Rose" Licensed tremolo

Machine Heads: Gotoh SG

Nut: Locking Floyd Rose

Nut Width: 1.625"

Frets: 24 - Jumbo Nickel/Steel

Headstock: 14 degree pitch

Non-Reverse, Pointy

Fingerboard: 24 fret, Hard Maple

F/B Radius: 16"

Scale Length: 25.5"

F/B Inlay: Pearl Dots

Finishes: Heritage Cherry Sunburst, Vintage Sunburst

do they (quad rails) tend to be muddy? what kind of range do you think you can get from them? are they noisy, how do they sound clean? How do they compare to dimarzio's or seymour duncans? would this stock pickups suffice for gigging? My likes of music (I play) range from blues / jazz to classic rock and metal.

Let me know your thoughts / opinions and thanks

Peace

• Members

i have a neck model that i put in a Saga kit LP. To me its a very full ranged pickup but somewhat sterile. They sound ok clean,but like most passive hi output p'ups its not that great. It can get a bit muddy but changing pickup heights helps considerably. i think its a decent pickup and havent changed it back out yet.

BTW all this is with all 4 coils, i havent tried tapping it.

• Members

I had the FR424 a few years ago and it was a pretty good guitar. Cretainly not as good as an old school Kramer, but then it didn't cost $1k+ either.. As stated, the pickups were the weak link. They sound ok clean, for jazzy stuff, but any gain on them and they go to crap (not mud, that's too clean. I'm talking pure animal feces here).. As for the guitar, it had a nice neck, good hardware and great action. I'd own one again, without hesitation. I sold it to make room for another guitar that I love dearly. I have a self imposed/wife supported limit of 5 guitars at any one time. When a new one comes, an old one goes.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I had the FR424 a few years ago and it was a pretty good guitar. Cretainly not as good as an old school Kramer,
but then it didn't cost $1k+ either.. As stated, the pickups were the weak link. They sound ok clean, for jazzy stuff, but any gain on them and they go to crap (not mud, that's too clean. I'm talking pure animal feces here)..
As for the guitar, it had a nice neck, good hardware and great action. I'd own one again, without hesitation. I sold it to make room for another guitar that I love dearly. I have a self imposed/wife supported limit of 5 guitars at any one time.
When a new one comes, an old one goes.

Its really awesome post.Thanks for sharing.

Archived