anyone try a quarter pounder tele pup?

twotimingpete

• Members

I got this midnight wine standard tele a few weeks ago and the love affair continues.

I love the tones, I love the feel, I'm getting that experimental itch though -- and I like the stock pickups, I just want something similar but "more". not sure what that means.. maybe a tighter bottom and "ruder" in general. This is also the first guitar where I'm really using the neck and middle positions a whole lot -- I really like these positions on a tele. on humbucker or p90 guitars I mostly use the bridge and virtually never use middle. on the tele I use them all like crazy! that tele middle sound is something else. put it into a vox amp and.. {censored}.

anyway, I was looking at the seymour duncan quarter pounder neck/bridge, as well as the "hot for tele" neck and bridge. anyone try these before? any thoughts?

• Members

I bought a Classic Vibe tele about 6 months ago. It had a clean but pretty boring neck pickup (no quack, just a decent clean tone).

I bought a SD Quarter Pound "lipstick" pup and had it professionally installed and...

...as much as I hate to say it...

...I was underwhelmed.

It was sort of a heavier bass sound, but still didn't quack much. I didn't hate it, but it didn't blow my mind, either.

So I swapped it out for a humbucker at the neck and hot damn: that was the sound I was looking for -- fat, with oozing harmonics and tons of presence.

I can't generalize about all Quarter Pounds obviously, and I usually love Seymour Duncan, but the pup I bought just didn't cut it for me.

• Members

Quack on a neck tele pickup by itself? :confused:

Don't think that's likely, man. :poke:

I will say that in general, I'm not a big fan of Quarter Pounders. I had a Blackmore-wannabe strat back in the day with Quarter Pounders in the neck and bridge positions, wired to the 5 way switch kinda funky... basically the neck and middle reversed so you could play the bridge, bridge+neck, neck, neck+middle, middle. And I recently had a strat wired with Dimarzio HS3s neck and middle and a Quarter Pounder in the bridge.

I guess I like a more subtle pickup. It was thicker sounding than most single coils... and I thought it sounded pretty decent with heavy-ish gain for a single coil, but for cleans, it was not exceptional at all.

Never played a Tele with Quarter Pounders that I can recall... or maybe I did and I wasn't overly impressed.

Probably my favorite neck tele pickup ever is the GFS Fatbody. Freakin all kinda of cool. Never heard the Fatbody bridge though. I used to have a strat with a Duncan Vintage Rhythm that I think sounds pretty great though in general, I think it's not very well received. Personally, for my tastes, I don't mind hot-ish bridge pickups, but I definitely have found that I prefer relatively low output neck pickups. They almost always sound more complex.

Having said all that, I don't know that I'd steer you away from the Quarter Pounder bridge pickup. Might be just what you are looking for. More output, more bottom end, but still very much a single coil. And yes... the middle position on a Tele is pretty tits. Lots of nice chime through a Vox. Somewhat similar to the bridge+middle position on a strat, but still distinctively different than that sound.

Archived