Dimarzio X2N

• Members

????

I like mine....

OK admittedly, I don't play the guitar that's got it much because I prefer my les paul, but I thought the X2N does a fine job of being a high output pick up.

I guess I see what you mean by the flat EQ, it's not bad IMO, it's just balanced - none of the lows/mids/treble takes over, they are well balanced - and I certainly haven't noticed ice pick highs, even though my guitar that's got it has a walnut/maple laminate through neck with ash wings for the body - my point being treble, in theory, ice picky treble should come out really well with such a body. :idk:

It's not an overly versatile pick up - it's got a strong attack (is that what you meant by ice pick highs???), can distort easily on my valve amp clean channel if you dig in a little.

You can still play some (finger) picking on it alright, it' just not PAF sound.

(one of my friend says he plays some jazz with his X2N in the neck position - he just plays with the volume pot to reduce the output).

It splits quite well as well - the sound you get from it in split coil is very usable, I like it very much.

I find its tone warmer - though a lot tighter - than the Paf Pro I have in the neck of the same guitar.

Anyway, that pick up wasn't designed to play clean - once played with some gain, it's really tight and will be happy to scream for you, and does the Metallica type sound VERY well.

Well, I waffled alright...... :rolleyes:

Archived