Problem with Super Champ XD

Karma1

• Members

A friend of mine has a Super Champ XD, as do I, and he's been having some problems with his, especially at higher volume after it's been in use for a while. It will be playing fine, then all of a sudden develop a loud buzz, that continues even after uplugging the guitar cable. He brought it over yesterday to check out and we noticed a couple things. First the socket where the AC cord plugs in is a bit loose. Also the power tubes were black, compared to mine which were clear. Does that mean they are blown, or are they just different tubes. I'm not that knowlegeable about tubes, but have never seen any like that. I've only changed tubes for tone or performance not because they were faulty. Anybody have any advice about this?

• Members

The black tubes you are talking about are normal (most likely). Try replacing them and see what happens. I work in a music store and sorry to say, we've had nothing but problems with those amps. Lots of circut boards and such. Much to go wrong. They are cheaply made. Sorry. Im not bashing, just my experience.

• Members

sounds like bad preamp tube to me. put your preamp tubes in his and see if it stops. no biasing or anything when dealing with preamp tubes too. ive had a couple amps do this and it was the problem, i believe its called microphonic preamp tubes (or maybe thats something else :idk:)

Archived