Hesitating between 2 guitars - HELP

danxrs05

• Members

Hey guys

Ok so now I am looking at 2 guitars locally for sale in my area.

I live in Ottawa, CANADA.

So yes you'll find the prices a little high but it is like that here! We pay more for our instruments. That sucks! :blah:

I am looking at a Gibson Les Paul Studio 2008.

Wine Cherry. MINT CONDITION

Price: 1000$ CANADIAN

Also looking at a Gibson Les Paul Studio 2006

Faded brown.

Burstbuckers Pro

Also Mint condition

PRice: 1000$ CANADIAN

I don't want to buy one on ebay since I want to try it first. And with shipping and customs it all comes down to approx. that anyway here.

It suck we get to pay more but hey what can I do about it? :cry:

I was thinking at first of buying a Epiphone Les Paul Custom with pedals but now am tempted by the Studios since they will hold a fare value over time compared to the epiphone.

And overall build quality.

What do you think about both guitars?

• Members

I like the LP Studio. Never really clicked with the faded model. I had a white studio several years ago and it was a cool guitar. I recentely checked out both the Studio and the Faded used and if I were to go for one of those I would have taken the standard Studio.

• Members

I have one of the fadeds and love it but given the choice you have, I'd go with the wine cherry. It's a better deal since it sells for a few hundred more new.

I agree exactly with the comments above.

I was a little shocked to see that someone would ask $1,000 for a used Faded Brown. I have one too and love it, but that's too much to pay for a used Faded. I paid like $750 for mine new. And then since it had a loose wood chip inside, they knocked another $125 off.

I find that the Fadeds are a bit more bluesy sounding whereas the Studios are a bit closer to the sound of a LP Standard, but usually a little brighter and lighter sounding.

But I think you made the right choice. My LP Faded Brown is the Vintage Mahogany model with no maple cap (assume the one you saw was probably similar as well) and although I like it's tone, it has a noticeably shorter sustain than the heavier maple cap Studios.

• Members

I like the faded? that's a classy guitar and with the burst buckers . . . thats certainly a Superior pickup.

I like the faded too (I have one) but they're asking too much for it. If the faded was 750.00 and the wine was 1000.00, I might lean towards the faded. For the same price though, the wine is a better deal.

• Members
I agree exactly with the comments above.

I was a little shocked to see that someone would ask $1,000 for a used Faded Brown. I have one too and love it, but that's too much to pay for a used Faded. I paid like $750 for mine new. And then since it had a loose wood chip inside, they knocked another $125 off.

Welcome to Canada. :rolleyes:

Despite NAFTA, there are some ugly import taxes that jack US guitar prices up. I live in Toronto: $1,000 for a used Les Paul Studio, or a used MiA Strat in good condition, is standard. You also need to factor in about 13% for taxes.

The Canadian-made stuff is a little better: a Godin LG usually goes for $475 on the used market.

A music store near me has a beat-up '67 Tele with a 4-way switch, humbucker in the neck position and a cacked nut that's selling for over $4,000. That said, it has been sitting there for a while . . . :facepalm:

• Members
Welcome to Canada.
:rolleyes:

Despite NAFTA, there are some ugly import taxes that jack US guitar prices up. I live in Toronto: $1,000 for a used Les Paul Studio, or a used MiA Strat in good condition, is standard. You also need to factor in about 13% for taxes.

The Canadian-made stuff is a little better: a Godin LG usually goes for $475 on the used market.

A music store near me has a beat-up '67 Tele with a 4-way switch, humbucker in the neck position and a cacked nut that's selling for over $4,000. That said, it has been sitting there for a while . . .
:facepalm:

Holy Crap! 4000$!
NEVER! hehe.

Nice to see someone from Canada! haha
I'm in Ottawa. That's not too far away! hehe.

Archived