Tune suggestions

FUBTAG

• Members

Hey all... I need some suggestions...

My band is playing a benefit for a family at the end of next month. The husband passed away recently (from pancreatic cancer) leaving a wife, a daughter and a new baby expected in May.

So -I am trying to put a songllist together that is a 'feel good' kinda of deal. It's amazing how many songs (like "American Girl") sound like they should be a 'positive vibe' but aren't.

All I ask is that I get (mostly) serious responses... :cop:

Thanks... and hopefully I get a few responses before the 2.0 kicks in... lol

• Members

What kind of muisc does your band play?

Jimmy Buffett (any) is pretty upbeat
Keb Mo has some really upbeat stuff
A lot of Beatles songs are pretty upbeat as well (just stay away from "Yesterday")

I can come up with a lot of suggestions, just need to narrow down the genre

• Members

Here Comes the Sun
might be a nice selection, especially with a new baby on the way. It's a song about getting through pain and moving into happier times.

Yeah, Beatles songs are probably a good idea, they sure were a bunch of jolly chaps.

On that note, how about "In My Life" or "Something"?

• Members

We can play anything.... not necessarily worried about genre of music. Also uptempo tunes would b best "Something" is a great song... but a bit morbid in it's presentation.. if you know what I mean.

Also -- Brown Eyed Girl and other party tunes like that are already included in the list. Looking to grab a few tunes that might not be expected. For example... my band (2 guitars, bass and drums) does a pretty good version of Pick Up The Pieces, which has caught more then a few people by surprse when we do it.

• Members
We can play anything.... not necessarily worried about genre of music. Also uptempo tunes would b best "Something" is a great song... but a bit morbid in it's presentation.. if you know what I mean.

Fair enough. My suggestions would probably be better suited to a funeral, now that I think about it. Obviously that's the last thing his family would want to hear...

Sorry for wasting your time. I'll show myself out. :facepalm:

• Members

Fair enough. My suggestions would probably be better suited to a funeral, now that I think about it. Obviously that's the last thing his family would want to hear...

Sorry for wasting your time. I'll show myself out.
:facepalm:

Not at all... I aprreciate the input...

It's for a fund raiser... so it's going to be a celebration of sorts...

• Members

Gawd! It's so tempting (and much more fun) to go the other way: e.g. Yesterday, Love Hurts, Heartbreaker, etc. However, I will not succumb to that temptation. How about these for party songs:

Rock Lobster (or really any B52s - you can't help but have fun!)

Most Ramones songs

The Harder They Come

Taking Care of Business (or any BTO)

YMCA

Good Day Sunshine

No Matter What

• Members

Bummer, I didn't know how upbeat you wanted to go. To me those songs all put a hopeful spin on the realities of life, more or less.
:idk:
I totally understand why you wouldn't include those, though. Sorry about that...

Which is exactly why I am having a tough time... I can whip out a {censored} load of party tunes... But I don't want to have a moment like when at a wedding they play "I Will Survive" ... it just is so weird...

• Members

James Brown????

I

F
e
e
l

G
o
o
d
???

I think you are worng about songs like American Girl. People find them upbeat even though the lyrics may not be. Maybe ask the Widow how she would feel about such songs? Better yet ask her what songs she wants to hear?

Archived