Schecter Ultra III

Muddslide

• Members

My love for mine comes and goes (as it does with all my guitars). I know the knock on these is that they are heavy. They are big and comfortable as hell to play sitting down, but I weighed mine: 9.75 lbs. Not so bad when you consider the expansive body. How much do Firebirds weigh?

Anyway, I believe Ultra III's are out of production.

• Members

Noodled with one once. The switching options were cool but like alot of folks, I was put off by the weight. Heck, even the Hellcat I had was heavy.

Anyway, I believe Ultra III's are out of production.

They are listed in the '10 cat.

• Members

They're on my short list of future guitar aquisitions, I really like it's appearance, and because I play sitting, it's weight is of no concern, and in fact may be an advantage to me.

There are three Schecter guitars I'm interested in, one is the Stargazer (I'll have a black one next Tuesday morning), Stargazer 12 string, and the Ultra III.

• Members

There are three Schecter guitars I'm interested in, one is the Stargazer (I'll have a black one next Tuesday morning), Stargazer 12 string, and the Ultra III.

I've had my eye on the Stargazer as well. Would be interested in your opinion.

• Members

I had one for awhile. I liked the way it sounded in HB mode. I sold it for two reasons:

1. I could not get along with the switching system. It is very flexible, but a big part of my playing style is to switch pups often. I'm usually the only guitar player so I will often switch back and forth many times in the same song. I don't find this switching system facilitates that easily.

2. That son-of-a-bitch is HEAVY!!!

Also, I have an Epi FB VII, and the Ultra III was heavier. It was a great sounding guitar. If they made one with a standard 5-way with a master coil-split I would probably buy one.

I also agree that a change of pups would take it over the top. Either TV Jones, or some FB style Mini-Hums.

• Members

I bought this Ultra III off of Craigslist for a very attractive price because I couldn't shake the GAS attack that the visuals induced. I was motivated to the point of buying it in a rainy parking lot after a quick 10-second inspection.

It looked like this:

Body_Close_Offset.jpg

Within an hour of getting it home I was writing up the eBay ad to offload this godawful thing! You name a problem, this guitar flaunted it - sharp fret ends, weak pickups, cheap switches, dipped-in-plastic finish, unreliable tremolo, the works!

I honestly felt a little guilty selling it to somebody else but I couldn't have it in the house for another moment and it seemed wasteful to just throw it away! Oddly, the fella that bought it seemed quite happy with it and I made a few bucks so maybe it worked out all around.

I have another Schecter from the late 90s that I really adore. This was an object lesson in how far down some offshore guitar manufacturing has sunk in the last decade.

• Members

I bought this Ultra III off of Craigslist for a very attractive price because I couldn't shake the GAS attack that the visuals induced. I was motivated to the point of buying it in a rainy parking lot after a quick 10-second inspection.

Within an hour of getting it home I was writing up the eBay ad to offload this godawful thing! You name a problem, this guitar flaunted it - sharp fret ends, weak pickups, cheap switches, dipped-in-plastic finish, unreliable tremolo, the works!

I honestly felt a little guilty selling it to somebody else but I couldn't have it in the house for another moment and it seemed wasteful to just throw it away! Oddly, the fella that bought it seemed quite happy with it and I made a few bucks so maybe it worked out all around.

I have another Schecter from the late 90s that I really adore. This was an object lesson in how far down some offshore guitar manufacturing has sunk in the last decade.

Now if only you bought a Gibson wrought with problems then you could condemn all domestic products too. :idea: BTW, I'd hazard a guess that the reliablility of your Bigsby had more to do with the nut slots than the vibrato system itself.

I agree with 9-Pin's assessment of the pickups & switches. I don't spend a lot of time in the single coils modes on any of the pickups, and switching each pickup on and off is inefficient as hell.

Archived