Floyd Rose Help?

jn062181

• Members

Hey guys, I'm having a little bit of trouble with my (licensed) Floyd Rose.

It was tuned perfectly out of the box when I got it off the 'Bay. Now that I have a tremolo arm (didn't come with one originally), I've been trying to do some divebombs and whatnot with it. It seems that one dive will make it go SLIGHTLY flat, but consequent dives will not change the pitch further. I can remedy this by pulling up on the trem, which makes it go slightly sharp, but pulling up a second time doesn't have any effect either.

From what I can gather, it seems like the bridge just isn't fully returning to its correct position. However, upon closer inspection, it looks like it isn't sitting fully parallel with the body, which seems like it would be an issue. I opened up the back and all I can tell from back there is that the springs are in good condition. The nut is locked and the retaining bar is clamped down.

Would tightening the screws in the back and making the bridge parallel help? This is my first real experience with a floating bridge so any advice/tips would be much appreciated.

• Members

You could try adjusting the springs until the bridge is level with the body when it's in tune. Also maybe a little 3 in one oil at the pivot points. How old are the strings? Newer ones tend to stay in tune better. Also after using the tremolo re-tune as needed. Maybe you're still in the process of fine tuning it.

• Members

If it isn't sitting level, intonation will be WAY off, if it isn't returning to the same spot every time, could be strings need stretching? or 3 in 1 oil (as mentioned) may help. To align the Floyd (after stretching), block it level/parrallel with quarters/small wood block/something. Tune it, and adjust the hanger till the block falls out. Should be good to go. Don't lock the nut until the strings are properly stretched, and remember to change strings one at a time, tuning as you go in the future (after you get it levelled out now) :thu:

• Members

Floating trems can be a little tricky at first. Spend some time learing how they work, by balancing string tension against spring tension, and you'll be off to a good start.

There are quite a few youtube vids on setup and maint. Here's a quick one for you.

Also check out this thread from the Ibanez boards. It doesn't matter that your bridge isn't an Ibanez.

http://forum.ibanez.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=69978

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

:wave:

Archived