Would these pickups give me this sound?

45below

• Members

Just a quick question for you guys,

I play a mixture of rock styles, ranging from hard rock (think deep sustain, although not quite metal), to alternative rock, to punk. (blink 182, green day)

I was wondering if a Dimarzio Super Distortion bridge pup, combined with a Dimarzio PAF pro neck pup, in a mahogany-body guitar would give me the range of tones to accommodate the styles that I play. Would it be too muddy?

I'm playing through a Digitech RP-50 (I know, I know, but it's all I've got right now) into a PA system. Also occasionally through an Omnifex amp.

Thanks so much

• Members
The Digitech will color your sound anyway.
:thu:

+1.

The biggest bottleneck to your tone right now is your amp (or lack thereof). A pickup change may alter your tone but probably not to the extent you're looking for. I would say save your cash right now and invest in some sort of amp first.

• Members

Just to show how much of a difference the rig outside of the pickup makes, Delonge has used the Duncan Invader for many albums and Billy Joe used a Duncan JB for most early stuff and those pickups are pretty much complete opposites. The Invader has tons of bottom end and isn't very bright while the JB is very bright and has very little bottom end. The Super Distortion is more like the Invader.

I have an RP250 and, while I like it for many things, it's modeling isn't exceptional. It always sounds pretty processed and those guys are both going for a pretty raw type of sound. I think I'd look at getting a Tonelab if you want to stick with modelers, but want something that can cop more of a raw feel.

I think you'll be able to get in the ballpark of those tones using most any hot wound pickup though. I'd think a Super Distortion, Tone Zone, JB or Invader would get you there, but I might consider a Custom, Custom 5, PAF Pro, Fred or a Norton for something that might be a bit more versatile on down the road when you get a tube amp and if you use the volume control on the guitar very much, I'd consider going with a treble bleed if you go with a Super Distortion, Tone Zone or Invader as they seem to get pretty muddy as you turn the volume knob down.

• Members

Thanks for the quick replies.

I wholeheartedly agree about getting a better amp. The one I have now is crap.
I was thinking about a peavey transtube... are they any good?

So for playing live - would I just mic the amp? Or would I run it through the PA system using the headphone/line out jack? Or should I invest in a cab and head?

thanks for all the help

• Members

Ideally you would mic the amp with a Shure SM 57 or similar type of quality instrument mic.

In my opinion you should get a good amp like a Peavey Classic 30.

Or better yet a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 head and get a good Avatar speaker cab. I don't know how much you have to spend.... but you could score a rig like that for under $1000.

And you would easily be able to nail your Blink 182, Green Day tones. Even with the pickups that are currently in your guitar.

• Members

I'm currently playing a dirt-cheap fender squire. I want to build my own guitar (hence the question about pickups) but I'm on a fairly tight budget. (under $500). I just want to make sure I get the sound I want.

So it would be better to mic the amp huh? I don't have an sm57 now, but I do have an audio technica 2020 condenser mic. Would this work? I also have an sm58 and an audio-technica 2021.

Also, I would need to switch presets in the middle of a song, as one I wrote has a had crunch in the chorus but a clean wah in the verses.

How would I do this? Thanks for the help. I'm new at this.

• Members
I'm currently playing a dirt-cheap fender squire. I want to build my own guitar (hence the question about pickups) but I'm on a fairly tight budget. (under $500). I just want to make sure I get the sound I want.

So it would be better to mic the amp huh? I don't have an sm57 now, but I do have an audio technica 2020 condenser mic. Would this work? I also have an sm58 and an audio-technica 2021.

Also, I would need to switch presets in the middle of a song, as one I wrote has a had crunch in the chorus but a clean wah in the verses.

How would I do this? Thanks for the help. I'm new at this.

Bandit 112 used, or something similar- Randall's RG or RH series combo amps, Kustom's TuckNRoll 250, Peavey's Vypyr series, would all work fine man :thu:

Archived