SD Blackouts??

zantor9

• Members

I just bought a dean vendetta 2.0 with floyd rose but the pickups are {censored}ty...i am considering buying new pickups for it. I play heavier {censored} with pinched harmonics, low tunings, etc. so i narrowed it down to SD blackouts and SD invaders....I am not sure if Seymour Duncan Blackouts are all that theyre made out to be...so i need a second opinion..

• Members
  • Members

oh wow :) i knew that they had a bite from some vids ive seen but i didnt imagine them to be that good :D i already have a SD hot rails pickup in my experimental guitar...and it roars. I plan on making this new cheap dean sound like a Shred-monster-from-hell. Hope all goes well when i buy some Blackouts

• Members
The Schecter Blackjack ATX has them from stock. Here's a video that gives a good idea of the sound. It takes the guy a while to get around to playing, but it's a good, clear recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E0PtXMMvJ0

love it :thu: ive never had active pickups in any guitar but we'll see how it is...i heard that the clean is kinda scratchy on EMG's and that they have too much feedback even with a Hush processor that i have...but are blackouts any different from EMG 81's with the clean channel?

• Members
  • Members
Most deff
:idea:

. . . infact, i prefer the
neck
tone
:evil:

haha alright ill see what i can do on my budget :poke: i may just get the bridge bcuz the stock pickup is (strangely) very versatile tone-wise...i mean this guitar wuz only 165 bucks on ebay but has floyd rose and locking nut :) i think this pickup/s will be all i need for it :thu: (hopefully)

• Members

love it
:thu:
ive never had active pickups in any guitar but we'll see how it is...i heard that the clean is kinda scratchy on EMG's and that they have too much feedback even with a Hush processor that i have...but are blackouts any different from EMG 81's with the clean channel?

I have another guitar with EMG 85s. They don't have any problem with feedback and don't sound scratchy, whatever that means. Their clean is good too although not quite as clear as the Blackouts. The EMGs are a little more compressed sounding and good for making the wall of guitar sound while the Blackouts are a little brighter and more aggressive. I like them both, but I think the Blackouts are a little more versatile.

• Members
I have another guitar with EMG 85s. They don't have any problem with feedback and don't sound scratchy, whatever that means. Their clean is good too although not quite as clear as the Blackouts. The EMGs are a little more compressed sounding and good for making the wall of guitar sound while the Blackouts are a little brighter and more aggressive. I like them both, but I think the Blackouts are a little more versatile.

alright cool thanx i needed to know cuz of my low budget haha and i hear good stories bout both brands i just needed to be sure :)

• Members
haha alright ill see what i can do on my budget :poke: i may just get the bridge bcuz the stock pickup is (strangely) very versatile tone-wise...i mean this guitar wuz only 165 bucks on ebay but has floyd rose and locking nut
:)
i think this pickup/s will be all i need for it
:thu:
(hopefully)

You may want to re-think that. With the control layout on that guitar, it's going to be a bitch mixing active/passive pickups. Go all or nothing.

• Members

Never noticed this before but the Metal Blackouts use Alnico magnets and the regular plain jane Blackouts use Ceramics. Is that a misprint as that seems opposite of what should be happening here.

Im sure it must be a misprint bcuz is says the bridge pickup has ceramics but that cant be...

Archived