Is TAXI really worth it?

• Members
Well personally I think $300 for one year is a good investment.

I think so too. BTW, the second year is $100 less.

I look at TAXI as being the middle man that cushions the perspective publishers/record companies from frivolous lawsuits.

Best, John :cool:

• Members

I don't think anyone will get a straight answer on this company. It's really hit or miss. I have mixed feelings. I'm not a big fan of the lack of screening, because anyone can sign up. I think it comes down to what do you want TAXI to do for you? Is TAXI the only effort you are putting into your career to be "discovered"?

Song critiques can be helpful, but sometimes it wasn't where the artist wanted to go with the music. When it comes to placements, you won't get placed if your music doesn't fit. Submissions can add up.

I worked with an artist that was a "priority" at TAXI and nothing ever happened both in music placements and in getting signed. When we signed up for TAXI we kept working on our own. We got her music to music supervisors on our own and got a few placements that way.

Everyone should consider their options and go from there. It will be interesting to see where the system of music placements ends up and how companies like TAXI end up. I pay attention to TV shows all the time. CBS records and Chop Shop Records are using THEIR OWN artists more frequently for placements in shows and major labels are getting increasingly aggressive in getting placements too.

• Members

I have mixed feelings as well. I sent in a bunch of songs in many different listings and got some tracks forwarded but nothing really came of it.

Also i got some reviews that just plain pissed me off. One i got told me that the songs were too classic sounding because the lyrics were from a mans perspective. The style they wanted was classic rock in the vein of Led Zep, hendrix and such. Now tell me what the hell that means? So does my vocalist, who is in fact male, have to write lyrics from the perspective of a teenaged lesbian or a confused mongoose to get forwarded for that listing? Cause you know so many of Led Zepplien's songs were told from a non-male perspective right???? For this review i didnt renew and told them so, and i never got a response.

• Members

I guess TAXI works for some of its members sometimes and for other members never.

I've also received many forwards that weren't answered. But TAXI does supply the forwarding company's name. I'll often send a follow-up letter to these companies. I've had some of these companies tell me they liked my track, but it wasn't what they were looking for. Then I'll ask them if I can send them a CD of my work. Often they’ll say yes. I've gotten some good contacts doing this.

Of course with 10,000+ members, I'm sure some of these members don't have a snowball's chance in Hell in getting forwarded. But then, maybe the feedback they receive from TAXI reviews will help them to determine if it’s worth signing up a second year.

Often whether a song is forwarded by TAXI depends on the reviewer. I’ve gotten totally different reviews for the same song (with similar listings). I remember a song of mine titled “I’ll Bring You Coffee”. It received rave reviews from one listener, while another listener told me it would be conceived as an insult to the working woman by many women – and rejected it.

It’s really no big surprise that people don’t agree on the merit of a song. It happens “Here, There, and Everywhere”.

And don't you forgeeet it!

Best, John CabbageHead.jpg

• Members

I have mixed feelings as well. I sent in a bunch of songs in many different listings and got some tracks forwarded but nothing really came of it.

Also i got some reviews that just plain pissed me off. One i got told me that the songs were too classic sounding because the lyrics were from a mans perspective. The style they wanted was classic rock in the vein of Led Zep, hendrix and such. Now tell me what the hell that means? So does my vocalist, who is in fact male, have to write lyrics from the perspective of a teenaged lesbian or a confused mongoose to get forwarded for that listing? Cause you know so many of Led Zepplien's songs were told from a non-male perspective right???? For this review i didnt renew and told them so, and i never got a response.

What a joke.

Archived