Is TAXI really worth it?

• Members

I did it for one year. My music didn't fit most listings, and since you have to pay for each submission, I only submitted a few times in the year. All my tunes were forwarded, but resulted in no deals. I wrote to them to point out that even though the music was apparantly up to their standard, they didn't provide enough listings for it to pay off. they never wrote back. Big surprise.

• Members

I did it for one year. My music didn't fit most listings, and since you have to pay for each submission, I only submitted a few times in the year. All my tunes were forwarded, but resulted in no deals. I wrote to them to point out that even though the music was apparantly up to their standard, they didn't provide enough listings for it to pay off. they never wrote back. Big surprise.

They got their $300 and that was that.:thu:

• Members

Thanks for the feedback. :thu:

I'm still up in the air about it. I've always refused the "pay to play" schemes as they seemed like a step backward. I've heard good and bad about TAXI though. Maybe I'll give it a shot for a year when I'm more financially stable.

That Audiosparx website looks interesting. I may have to check into it more.

• Members

Just to balance the scale a little…

TAXI's contacts have been good for me. I've received a lot of placements on NBC, ABC, and the Oxygen Cable Network.

There is a lot of competition vying for these placements though. Last I heard (through the grapevine) TAXI has 10,000 members.

I do much better with the TAXI Dispatch ($150 a year). These are listings for companies that need last minute music. You'll only have 2-3 days to submit to these listings though. I don't believe you can have TAXI Dispatch without having the regular membership though.

Once you make contacts through TAXI, you can drop them if you like. I have two publishers that I have an ongoing relationship with.

I will say, sometimes you'll hate TAXI, other times you'll love them. Definitely a love/hate relationship.

But they are a legitimate option.

Best, John Piano%20Smiley.gif

• Members

Just to balance the scale a little…

TAXI's contacts have been good for me. I've received a lot of placements on NBC, ABC, and the Oxygen Cable Network.

Best, John
Piano%20Smiley.gif

And did you make more than you paid to Taxi with those placements?

• Members

I've done enough research on Taxi (seminars, threads like this, etc.) to conclude that there is no right or wrong with Taxi. Some people have benefitted from it, others might as well have thrown their three hundred into the furnace. I'd agree with the other post about your music being mainstream in some way.

• Members

And did you make more than you paid to Taxi with those placements?

Yes. But it's not all about money; otherwise I would have gone into another line of work years ago.

I get this money question often. It seems many people can't equate value to anything other than by money.

It’s a pleasure to me just knowing millions of people are hearing my music (whether they like it or not :lol:). Also the recognition is important to me. I think everyone appreciates a little recognition for their hard work.

TAXI is only one tool for me. I've made contacts in the Industry using other means (sometimes from just a query letter).

John:)

• Members

How much money did you make from your music being in television commericals if you do not mind me asking?

None of my music has been used in commercials.

As far as the other TV placements, the payment varies depending on the station, time of day, duration of play, what it was used for, etc. I'll give you one example.

On prime time "Dateline NBC" I was being paid $60 for every 12 seconds of airplay for segment background music (one minute paid for a year of TAXI). Dateline used one of my tracks for over two years.

BTW, TAXI is $100 cheaper after the first year.

Best, John:cool:

• Members

So, I'm getting the general impression from this thread that BGM-type music can potentially do well with TAXI, but isn't particularly awesome for bands looking to get some exposure-for-pay?

I'm not sure of the potential for bands, other than; I do see some TAXI listings for bands.

John:cool:

Archived