So I tried a Carvin Bolt today

PunkKitty

• Members

Gotta say, I wasn't impressed. I wanted to be. I had my Strat in the car with the hopes that I could trade it in. But after playing it for 15 minutes or so, I just couldn't bond with it. Glad I tried one before I bought one. I realized the Carvin fingerboard radius just isn't right for me.

Oh, well. I'll stick with my MIM Strat.

• Members
Good to know. Maybe I just prefer something closer to the 10" radius. Still, I'll want to try some before I buy one. Hmmm... guess I need to go to San Diego for vacation.

I'd love to go to the Carvin factory some time. That'd be more of a vacation for me than any trip to the beach. Don't think I can get the wife to agree to that one, though...

• Members

Good to know. Maybe I just prefer something closer to the 10" radius. Still, I'll want to try some before I buy one. Hmmm... guess I need to go to San Diego for vacation.

Fun town to check out anyway, Carvin could just be a bonus... I'd check out the 10" radius before you give up your Carvin quest.

• Members

I just did some work on my Bolt. For some reason, I could tighten each neck screw almost a quarter turn. I also tightened down all the Sperzels and cleaned up the wiring and grounding. Low action with 10s on there and sustains for days....

• Members

Fit and finish on my bolt is great, but I hear you about the 12 radius, not my fave either, but like others have said they do offer a variety.

I don't mind the radius so much as I prefer a nice boat oar neck. Still, this one gets tons of play.

• Members

The Carvin factory is great. I've only been there once (about 6-7 years ago drove down with the wife for a meeting in Coronado and spent a couple of hours at the factory on the way back), but it was a lot of fun. The people there were totally cool, and I had a chance to play a lot of guitars through a lot of amps. I was especially impressed by the AE-185 -- the one they had there had a flamed koa top, and it took an immense amount of self-control (along with a few stern wifey words) to prevent me from walking out with it...

• Members

I had a bolt a few years back and there was something about it I couldnt bond with either. I loved the ebony neck though.

Carvin happens to be about a mile and a half away from me and sometimes I stop in for strings because its closer the GC. I didnt know they did tours.

Archived