What pickups in PRS SE Soapbar?

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Members

I thought the neck pick was OK. I changed it for a Dimarzio humbucker soap size, sounds great. I'm trying to put in a Seymour D p90 stacked, what a pain. Had to chip out a bunch of wood and the wiring is strange. I put back the old p90, sounds OK if you can live with alot of buzz with high gain. Still on the fence about reinstalling the SD if I can get wiring for this guitar from seymour.

• Members

For that purpose, you'll be fine I'm sure. My SE soapbar is one of my main players, so I swapped out the stock pups (which, as said, are certianly better than some, but not :eek:) for Gotohs. Don't really like those much either. :cry: So, I just ordered a set of Duncans, and I'm going to giver 'er a litle facelift too (but that's a story for another day).

My point is, perfect for the office. :thu:

• Members

Somewhere in between.

Depends on how particular you are about your tone.

There's worse stock pickups out there.

The PRS Soapbar was what I was going to buy and then I decided against it and ordered your Pure90 pickups to put in a Les Paul Studio. I am looking forward to that.

• Members

The pickups are, generally, the SE series' weakest link -- probably because the company is well aware of how many people will swap 'em out. I love my PRS SE (or -- as MHUK called it, my 'POS') for its build quality, impressive playability and fantastic neck, but it was vastly improved by dumping the competent but bland HBs for a pair of Kent Armstrong's HB-sized P90s.

• Members

According to the PRS book I have, the SE pups are ceramic. Paul gave his Korean factory a set of pickups and told them to try to match them. I don't think they have the character of the US pups, but they have a nice response and I like them. This was at least true before the just-released SEs with birds and all. I have no idea what is in them!

• Members

I'm not a fan of the SE HBs, at all, but I do like the P90s. I think they're more than competent - they can be a little raunchy, and they can be super sweet. I've held off on swapping them out despite intense curiosity; eventually I'll capitulate and it'll get BGs that will surely blow the stocks out of the water. When the money comes in, when the money comes in. In the meantime I'm quite satisfied with the stocks.

• Members

I'm not a fan of the SE HBs, at all, but I do like the P90s. I think they're more than competent - they can be a little raunchy, and they can be super sweet. I've held off on swapping them out despite intense curiosity; eventually I'll capitulate and it'll get BGs that will surely blow the stocks out of the water. When the money comes in, when the money comes in. In the meantime I'm quite satisfied with the stocks.

My sentiments exactly. I have already PM'd Bryan about a set of P90's for my SE Soap bar but have not yet pulled the trigger. Mostly due to finances. I am in no big hurry because the stockers are actually pretty descent.

• Members

The pickups are, generally, the SE series' weakest link -- probably because the company is well aware of how many people will swap 'em out. I love my PRS SE (or -- as MHUK called it, my 'POS') for its build quality, impressive playability and fantastic neck, but it was vastly improved by dumping the competent but bland HBs for a pair of Kent Armstrong's HB-sized P90s.

I agree. I swapped the not bad P-90s with Lollars.

• Members

My sentiments exactly. I have already PM'd Bryan about a set of P90's for my SE Soap bar but have not yet pulled the trigger. Mostly due to finances. I am in no big hurry because the stockers are actually pretty descent.

I'm in the same boat. Bryan's gonna get a shot at my Soapbar, but I'm still

tapped out after Christmas.

The stockers are OK, but certainly not "Live at Leeds".

• Members

The stockers aren't that bad, like I mentioned before I've come across quite a few pickups that were worse.

Archived