"Bang for the buck" guitar under $1000

Count Dissident

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

disagree. these are american made and thus have an inflated price. it's a fact of nature. like gravity. it just a law.

the topic about bang for the buck.

look for a higher end korean made axe. those tend to be fantastic.

I'll agree and disagree at the same time. The guitars listed are all sub $800 guitars, in fact the hwy 1 tele is currently selling here in canada for under $600. I wouldn't call that inflated, in fact that makes it cheaper than their mexican series, or almost all korean guitars on the market.

That said, my original post was done before the guy said he wanted to play metal, so I would take out all of my choices and replace them with anything from the Ltd line. (p.s. I play tons of metal with my Tele, that bridge pickup really cuts through when it's distorted.)

• Members

Talk to Steve Benford. Go custom and get exactly what you want! His prices are fanastic and has an excellent reputation. At least get a price quote from him and go from there.

I second this enthusiastically, Steve builds great guitars.

If you want something else, used Peavey Wolfgang Special. Great guitar for metal - Floyd Rose, locking nut, and terrific pickups for high gain, they stay clear even with lots of distortion when many humbuckers turn to mud, It also has the D-Tuna for quick changing to drop D tuning.

• Members

I think I just blew this thread out of the water:

all koa double neck Carvin. Both setneck. Ebay selling around $600 now but I bet it won't break $1,000

I'm not really sure what the point of guitar and bass on the same instrument is. 6 and 12 string maybe, but guitar and bass? Why?

• Members

You can pretty regularly find Robin Wranglers and Rangers under $1k, and they're simply top notch.

For something new look on ebay for Lowel guitars. He sells nice walnut SGs for good prices. I almost bought one when I found a used one instead. Killer necks.

• Members

Go used!

Under 1000, you can find uses USA g&ls, USA hamers, sometimes a heritage h150 will sneak down under $1k, even a used mcinturff base model like a polaris will be under 1000 sometimes! Take advantage of smaller companies having lower resale due to lack of name recognition. Those guitars are all much better than your typical import or low end American guitar.

To contradict the argument of high end Korean guitars being a better value than low-end American, I offer this - take a look at some of the top-end ESP ltds, schecters, etc. Most of them are really blinged out cosmetically - abalone everywhere, binding, fancy tops. I'd rather have my money go to build quality and components, not cosmetics. Those guitars are intentionally spec'ed to fall below the top end lines (why would a company ever let their cheap stuff surpass their higher margin high end?).

In fact, used at $1000 I would argue is the best value price point period.

Archived