Copy Carver (Duplicating Guitar Bodies)

GuitarNoobie

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Soooooooooooooooooo, tell me Noobz, how much you gonna charge to dupe that body if you're sent a block of Mahog and a slab of maple for the cap?

haven't really thought about it...

carving a mahogany blank is probably not easily done. since the router is small and can only handle 1/4" shank bits i would have to route from both sides to cut all the way through.

it would be easier for my to just use a body template and bandsaw for the mahogany...

the cap is definitely doable..., but i would probably used the carved top i bought which is an exact replica of a '59...

let me get it working and get a little practice in with it and then hit me up if you are still interested... :thu:

• Members

A Laminate Trimmer seems kinda week for this application. Most of the ones I've seen have at least a 2.25HP router attached.

hmm... i have two routers currently and neither one of them are that powerful. the plans for this thing call for the laminate trimmer. the one i am looking at is 1.6 HP.

you don't think that would carve tops and neck backs?

i don't think this unit is gonna be able to do complete mahogany blanks/bodies... only tops and neck backs...

• Members

A Laminate Trimmer seems kinda week for this application. Most of the ones I've seen have at least a 2.25HP router attached.

my laminate trimmer is 1hp, and its plenty powerfull for this type of thing. too much power and youll be distorting the frame and not get an accrutate cut.

• Members

OK, thanks to the last shots. I get it... piano hinge on all 4 corners of the box, it stays square, and goes side to side... Thanks for the updates!

that part was a little confusing to me to from the pics because the box always appeared to be squared up. it wasn't until i got the plans that it made sense... :thu:

gotta run out for a couple hours but will be back later to mount a router and stylus permanently...

• Members

I WANT TO DUPLICATE !!!!

The unit is just not stable enough yet to move forward and backwards, but if I took it off the axles and put in on 2x4's i could probably go side to side to see what happens ;)

dcam5122.jpg

dcam5123.jpg

dcam5127.jpg

dcam5128.jpg

dcam5129.jpg

the counter balancing... the plans called for 10-15 lbs... 10 works perfect on this unit. makes moving the stylus almost effortless...

dcam5126.jpg

total build cost is gonna come in right around $450...

i think i should go carve something sideways :lol:

• Members

i wanna copy something, just don't have the stability yet to really copy.

like i said, i could move east west with some uneven surface to see how that works. will probably give that a shot tomorrow as it's now getting late...

plus, i started doing a little work on my actual two guitar builds :thu:

• Members

i just read this on a supplement to the copy carver plans... I have not been able to find the 1/4" pipe yet (used for the guide rails).

NOTE - ALL READ: If you cant find 1/4" pipe in your area many builders have just used their router and a 3/4" Round Over bit in their router to route a bead on the edge of the riser board. Forming a round wood rail of sorts out of the edge of the riser board. Then to make the ridge durable you can paint on a wet coat of fiberglass resin (available at any auto parts store) thinned 25% with acetone (and double the amount of hardener required) on the wood rail until it wont soak up any more of the thinned resin solution. Allow it to cure overnight and the results will be a very hard plastic like rail that will not crack, spit or chip under hard use. The pulley wheels will now ride on this wood rail just as well as the pipe version. However if you can find the small diameter pipe in your area it is the least expensive and quickest way to form the rail. 1/4" Pipe is used for running compressed air lines and can only be found in old fashioned hardware stores or commercial plumbing supplier outlets. You wont find it in Home Depot or Lowes stores because it doesn't have a household use for water lines by code today. But a quick look in your local yellow pages for a Plumbing Supplier will provide many sources.

So I guess I will look at some plumbing supply houses around town because I would really prefer to use the metal piping, but at least the guy who wrote the plans has an alternative if necessary.

• Members

So I guess I will look at some plumbing supply houses around town because I would really prefer to use the metal piping, but at least the guy who wrote the plans has an alternative if necessary.

try to find drill rod maybe. it will only be 36" long though. seaming it will require a clan hacksaw joint cause the standard ends are sheared and have a bump/dip. home depot might have it, alot of hardware stores that sell any sort of metal work tools will.

alternatively just standard steel rod, but you may need to find a proper metal supplier to get a long peice. as a last resort, theres plenty of online sources for this stuff like mcmaster carr, online metals, metal express etc.

• Members

try to find drill rod maybe. it will only be 36" long though. seaming it will require a clan hacksaw joint cause the standard ends are sheared and have a bump/dip. home depot might have it, alot of hardware stores that sell any sort of metal work tools will.

alternatively just standard steel rod, but you may need to find a proper metal supplier to get a long peice. as a last resort, theres plenty of online sources for this stuff like mcmaster carr, online metals, metal express etc.

i have been able to find 3 foot sections of steel rod and hollow steel rod in the correct diameter however i was trying to avoid having a seam in the guide rail. If that seam is not perfect it would cause the carver to move...

we'll see, but i live in a big city, i am sure i can find the correct piping...

• Members

I get the Z and Y axis movement, how does it move on the X axis? (side to side)

Edit: Oh. I see. The hinges. how much room does that give for side to side?

since the cuts in the front board are higher that the side risers i can cut almost all the way to the side riser. I would say within 1.5 to 2 inches from the side.

the original plan could do 12" wide, i modified mine and made it wider, therefore i should be able to do 14" wide ;)

it's a pretty simple design. i hope it works decently. Everything i have read in reviews are positive :thu:

• Members

we'll see, but i live in a big city, i am sure i can find the correct piping...

Have you tried Elliot's Hardware? It's where I go when I can't find parts at HD/Lowes/Ace. I can generally find just about anything I need at the Coit Location. Only place where I can find quality steel treaded inserts when converting a bolt-on to use machine screws. Same for metric allen screws for Floyds (nut, saddles, etc).

If you like good hardware stores be prepared to waste at least an hour in there ;-).

• Members

Have you tried Elliot's Hardware? It's where I go when I can't find parts at HD/Lowes/Ace. I can generally find just about anything I need at the Coit Location. Only place where I can find quality steel treaded inserts when converting a bolt-on to use machine screws. Same for metric allen screws for Floyds (nut, saddles, etc).

If you like good hardware stores be prepared to waste at least an hour in there ;-).

i've been to Elliotts in Dallas and there used to be one in Grapevine... Haven't been to the Coit location, but I just called them and the one in Dallas, no luck :cry:

I have moved on to plumbing supply companies now. Elliotts suggested Apex to me, about to call them...

• Members

this 1/4" black pipe is proving very difficult to find... :mad:

I have found some online, but it's $62 per 6 foot piece... thats $124 plus shipping for the guide rails. :eek:

I think I will consider just getting the 3 foot sections from Lowes and/or using the router/fiberglass resin method explained previously...

• Members

this 1/4" black pipe is proving very difficult to find.

Yea, that is not a common size to find in longer lengths, 1/4" ID black pipe use is generally limited to short sections / nipples for equipment hookup.

If you cant find 1/4" pipe in your area many builders have just used their router and a 3/4" Round Over bit

This confuses me a bit as we are talking two different dimensions here, 1/4" black pipe has an OD of a bit over 1/2".

I guess bottom line is you need something to match the grove / radius of your wheels. You might have better luck finding something that will work from a metal supply yard. They have round stock and tubing in tons of sizes that should fit the bill.

Archived