What amp is best for pedals

Lump

• Members

Fender Deluxe Reverb definately sounds like a winner, I will definately go check one of those out too.

Or the Princeton Reverb for a slightly smaller version of the Deluxe. You did mention one of your criteria was great tone @ low volumes, perhaps implying you'd be using this in a home or studio setting.

I asked this exact same question a few months ago, and got pretty much the same advice. I lived the shimmery sound of the JC-120 but in the end it was too large and heavy for my needs. It would be awesome if Roland offered like a 40-watt version of the JC-120, I'd buy one in a second.

• Members
Drri is great but - very important to note this - it does not do well with pedals on the vibrato channel at low volumes. If you're playing below 3 on the amp, gotta run your distortions on the normal side or clip the bright cap on the vibrato channel.

QUOTE]

I agree with this 100%. Of course, I use the normal channel exclusively and get my 'verb from a pedal as well as my overdrive. If you want a Marshally tone out of a DRRI, just use a Barber Direct Drive. The only knock on the DRRI is its lack of clean headroom, but I've gigged with mine using only stage volume and it punches through the mix very well even before it starts to break up.

• Members

I agree with this 100%. Of course, I use the normal channel exclusively and get my 'verb from a pedal as well as my overdrive. If you want a Marshally tone out of a DRRI, just use a Barber Direct Drive.

Definitely! I recently got a Direct Drive after having used an OCD for quite a while. I'd used it at home for a couple weeks and I don't play with much gain at home very often. I took it out, playing it through a Twin Reissue with Alnico Weber Californias and NOS tubes and a guitar with 57 Classics and non of us could believe how Marshally it sounded. I've owned three tube Marshalls and one of the other guys plays a boosted Bassman regularly and that Direct Drive NAILED 1970-1985 (JTM45 - JCM800) era Marshall tones without a doubt.

It was literally a 'why the hell haven't I had one of these for years' kinda moments.

HIGHLY impressed. The owner of the Twin has since ordered a Direct Drive for himself.

• Members

So I'm thinking about getting into the pedal world. I've typically always gone with a full on processor or just my trademark 60. If I were to build a small pedal board where I was going to be getting the dirt tones from pedals what would your suggestion be for the amp. It would need to have an excellent warm clean tone, and take pedals very well. I'd say anywhere from 15 to 50 watts(It needs to sound good at lower volumes, which I know can be an issue with some tube amps). I've always prefered 6L6's, or 6V6's. I'd prefer a head, but a combo is not a deal breaker.

Not worried about multiple channels, reverb while nice isn't a necessity.

thoughts? I've always liked fender cleans, but marshal dirt, so I'm not really sure how to achieve both.

I've experimented with many, many combinations, and here's my take:

A solid tube amp is the key to using pedals, esp distortion pedals. I use a Crate V50, which has a very nice clean channel. I get my distortion from an MI Audio Crunch Box and a Blues Pro OD.

I use tube amp distortion when recording, but live---it's just so much easier to control distortion with a pedal.

So, anyway, I recommend any solid tube amp---Crate, Peavey, Fender, whatever :p

• Members

Supro released their Supro/Pigtronix amp at NAMM last month. It's a 60 watt all tube amp designed specifically for a pedal driven rig [Pigtronix makes pedals]. Nothing on their website yet. Best to contact Dave Koltai at Pigtronix [they're handling the marketing/sales] if you're interested.

• Members
You're not getting cleans from your TM-60 now and you would rather lug a bunch of pedals around instead of a mult-effects board like a POD or Tonelab? I thought the TM-60 was great for cleans. So did Les Paul. I also don't think there's much a bunch of pedals can do that a POD or Tonelab can't. I'm interested to hear what you think it is your missing out on.

Wasn't meaning to infer I didn't like my current set up. I love the trademark 60 and I like and utilize my pod xt live alot. This search is more about getting an alternative rig. Here's the main reason, see the attached pictures. My aunt actually took the time to build me this uber nice 1 12 cab (complete with solid mahogany baffle). I utilized it with a THD for a while but due to money issues had to get rid of the amp and speaker a while back. I just hate to see that cab just sitting there, lifeless. So I decided I'd start looking to build a second rig to go down that pedal road. I actually considered taking the trademark 60 apart to use the speaker in the cab and have my aunt build the amp into a head, but I just like the 60 so much and it's so nice the way it is in the small portable package that I decided to consider a different amp for the cab.

Just trying to build a home for a wonderful piece of hand made musical gear. :thu:

• Members

a friend of mine has a Fender Bassman 135 and even with a pair of the power tubes pulled it's still loud and clean as hell, and it loves pedals. I guess the one catch would be the lack of an effects loop, but if you are running the amp clean that shouldn't be too much of a problem...

Archived