What amp is best for pedals

Lump

• Members

So I'm thinking about getting into the pedal world. I've typically always gone with a full on processor or just my trademark 60. If I were to build a small pedal board where I was going to be getting the dirt tones from pedals what would your suggestion be for the amp. It would need to have an excellent warm clean tone, and take pedals very well. I'd say anywhere from 15 to 50 watts(It needs to sound good at lower volumes, which I know can be an issue with some tube amps). I've always prefered 6L6's, or 6V6's. I'd prefer a head, but a combo is not a deal breaker.

Not worried about multiple channels, reverb while nice isn't a necessity.

thoughts? I've always liked fender cleans, but marshal dirt, so I'm not really sure how to achieve both.

• Members

It really depends on what sound you're looking for. A lot of people like to start with a clean-ish amp and dirty it up with pedals.

Yes, and a Twin Reverb is a good base to start from; a Deluxe will work, but it's gets dirty on it's own as you crank it.

• Members

I like the amp, but it can be cold and sterile sounding.

Twin is the best IMO

I dont know about sterile but yeah I do find that the JC-120 lacks a bit of warmth. Ive also found that Fender amps dont handle distortion very well tho.

The JC-120 is designed to take pedals like nobodies business. Nobodies!

• Members

It really depends on what sound you're looking for. A lot of people like to start with a clean-ish amp and dirty it up with pedals.

Definately want a great clean that I'd then add pedals to in order to add a little or alot of dirt as the situation called for.

• Members

I dont know about sterile but yeah I do find that the JC-120 lacks a bit of warmth. Ive also found that Fender amps dont handle distortion very well tho.

I've had a couple friends that have owned the JC-120's through the years. Lovely clean, I didn't think of them as taking pedals well, but in thinking about it that may have just been the pedals sucking more than the amp. I doubt I'd got with the 120 just because I'm old and it weighs as much as a buick, but they had some single 1/12 versions way back when and maybe even a head version. That might be interesting.

Fender Deluxe Reverb definately sounds like a winner, I will definately go check one of those out too.

thanks gents!

• Members

For many years, I thought of the Deluxe Reverb as my ideal amp. Always had been a Fender guy and mostly had experience with Blackface and Silverface amps.

Last year, I got a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe clone and if it gives you enough headroom for your needs (miked if needed) I absolute feel it is a VERY versatile amp that takes pedals VERY well. The cleans aren't quite as crystal sparkly as a Blackface, but they are in that ballpark up to a certain volume level. And when you get to cranking it, it can bark somewhat like an old, OLD Marshall but... the fact that it is somewhat Marshally when played loud means it can sound VERY Marshally when pushed with a Marshall type pedal such an a Direct Drive.

I've had a couple different speakers in mine but have settled on a ceramic Weber Blue Dog. Sounds very decent clean and gets about an 80% Fender 20% Vox vibe and has a pretty big bottom end and it sounds great up to moderate levels of gain.

Certainly not as convenient to go check out as a DRRI is, but I had a DRRI, an upgraded DRRI even and for me, I'd much rather have the 5E3. The only drawback is less headroom. If you play with a drummer without a PA system, your headroom for clean tones probably isn't going to excite anyone, but with a PA, it's a non issue.

• Members

Great advice in this thread!!!

if you are looking to color your sound solely with the pedals, go with a Tech21 Power Engine... They are NON-COLORING amps which means that you will get the sound that you want from your pedals...

But if you want to enhance the sound of your amp with pedals, go with any of the suggested amps...

Thanks and Good Luck! :wave:

Omar :thu:

• Members

I fully agree with people saying go with Fender. Any Fender tube amp in the 30w or higher zone will be great for you. I gigged with a Hot Rod Deluxe for seven years using it just like you want to, and it was wonderful. It never met a pedal it didn't like - honestly just a wonderful amp.

Now, if you really really want headroom for pedals, you could go with my current dual-Hiwatt setup... But that might be a tad silly for most people :D

Honestly, get yourself a Fender tube amp and never look back :thu:

• Members

Drri is great but - very important to note this - it does not do well with pedals on the vibrato channel at low volumes. If you're playing below 3 on the amp, gotta run your distortions on the normal side or clip the bright cap on the vibrato channel.

It's a lot easier to get Marshall dirt out of a fender with pedals than to go the other way and get fender cleans from a Marshall.

• Members

I have two amps that end being great with pedals.

Peavey Prowler: 6L6 with a smooth clean channel and bright switch. The stock speaker is weak, but with a swap and some volume it's a great grab and go pedal platform.

Marshall 1986 (50w superbass): lots of folks like them plain or boosting the stock gain, but turn down the gain, up the master volume, and toss a distortion pedal in front and it's pure metal. The darker side of the superbass keeps a high gain pedal from being buzzy and shrill.

• Members

Got to agree there... It may sound sterile, but that's because they figure your going to color the tone with your own FX. This amp's made by the same people who make Boss pedals, they'd be crazy not to make them work together

• Members

You're not getting cleans from your TM-60 now and you would rather lug a bunch of pedals around instead of a mult-effects board like a POD or Tonelab? I thought the TM-60 was great for cleans. So did Les Paul. I also don't think there's much a bunch of pedals can do that a POD or Tonelab can't. I'm interested to hear what you think it is your missing out on.

• Members

Might sound wierd but a Crate Power Block. Has a great clean sound. I use one for my right side stereo pre-amping with my Marshall. Sounds really great.

+1

I use my Power Block with my Zoom g9.2tt into a 4x12 cab packed with EV Force speakers and love it!

• Members
I've had a couple friends that have owned the JC-120's through the years. Lovely clean, I didn't think of them as taking pedals well, but in thinking about it that may have just been the pedals sucking more than the amp. I doubt I'd got with the 120 just because I'm old and it weighs as much as a buick, but they had some single 1/12 versions way back when and maybe even a head version. That might be interesting.

Fender Deluxe Reverb definately sounds like a winner, I will definately go check one of those out too.

thanks gents!

True, the JC-120 is no doubt cumbersome, but they are pretty much designed to take pedals, there a good clip on youtube of some guys from Roland playing all sorts of things through one, I even play the br00talz through mine :thu:. The Roland cube 60, unfortunately discontinued, is pretty much a JC-120 cut in half with some modeling effects thrown in :thu:

Avoid the cube 80x though. It sucks.

Archived