Gonna buy a Squier 50 or 60s Classic Vibe Strat, which one???

riffy

• Members

I have only played the 60s and really dug it... I am wondering the difference between the alnico 3 and alnico 5 pickups in each. How does it affect the sound. Is one hotter than the other, one brighter than the other?

I know the 50s has the maple neck and the 60s rosewood. The fingerboard

does not really make that much difference to me.

Let me know what you all think of each type please?

Gary

• Members

I found the 50's a tad more brittle, 60's warmer. I have had both; and now have the 60's Strat, 50's Tele and Duo-sonic. Amazing workmanship. Some not-so-great pots, bridges, etc, but stellar necks, pickups, finishes.....excellent feeling RW neck on the 60's. My honeymoon phase is way over also. I gig the hell outta them. Just my 0.02....

• Members

That is the kinda thing I am looking to hear! The nuts and bolts of the matter so to speak. I really am diggin' this CAR 60s Strat at my local place. I am thinking of going to get it tomorrow, but haven't made up my mind about the 50s or 60s yet... Is it more 'brittle' or simply 'spankier'?

• Members

I had a 50s for a while. Got it to flip it but quite enjoyed it while I had it.

When they first came out, I compared the 50s to the 60s at two different stores. Once through a Super Sonic and once through a DRRI. I like bright-ish pickups and I preferred the tone of the 50s strat. This was before there were color options and I thought the two tone burst of the 50s looked a lot better than the 3 tone burst of the 60s.

Having said that, compared to MIM Standard pickups, both of the CV strats sounded several steps better.

• Members

I have a '50's CV Strat. I tried the '60's as well. I found that the '50s was tad more versatile sounding than the 60s. The 60s strat seems set up more for blues (it nailed an SRV tone through a Blues Junior). I wanted more "spank" and funkiness. I love the plucky quack of a strat and the 50s CV has that in spades.

Either way... they are a great value. THe 50s strat in two tone burst looks great too.

• Members

Just got a '60's CV strat today.

I'm digging the vintage tones. Warm when played smoothly, the right breakup when pushed hard... very usuable tones.

I'm maybe more of a fan of the neck and in-between tones over the bridge pup... but that's true on most Strats I've tried.

I didn't extensively try the 50's but I would absolutely recommend the '60's strat!

Good luck with whichever one you end up with!

:thu:

M

Archived