1953 gibson es175d appx value?

flyinbryan

• Members

well, if its worth enough to go to all the trouble of taking it apart that really answers my question.

as far as whether its been refretted, i honestly dont think it has. my mom bought it for my dad before i was born (im 45 years old) and im sure i would have heard if he had anything major done to it.

i certainly cant be sure on that though. (just like i didnt know anything about the bridge not being correct)

it plays absolutely amazingly, and i will get it back out (been in corner fo years) dust it off (which i didnt even do for the pics) and get better on the guitar.

its not going anywhere, ive just wondered what it might be worth.

• Members

well, if its worth enough to go to all the trouble of taking it apart that really answers my question.

as far as whether its been refretted, i honestly dont think it has. my mom bought it for my dad before i was born (im 45 years old) and im sure i would have heard if he had anything major done to it.

i certainly cant be sure on that though. (just like i didnt know anything about the bridge not being correct)

it plays absolutely amazingly, and i will get it back out (been in corner fo years) dust it off (which i didnt even do for the pics) and get better on the guitar.

its not going anywhere, ive just wondered what it might be worth.

Get it back to stock, get it appraised for insurance purposes, then give it to your kids or next of Kin when you die.

• Members

i really appreciate all the input guys.

looks like i picked the right place to ask right off the bat.

and slave2theaudio, thx for the sentiments. (and the compliment) its been 30 years almost since i lost him. i was just a kid, but i gotta admit, sometimes when im playing it, i hear a certain, really fat tone, and i can hear him playing it. he was really good on just about any stringed instrument. i have a long ways to go.

you guys are damn good man.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

ok, ive done some research on this a little and it turns out this 175-d does have the correct bridge for this setup. when they put a bigsby vibrato unit on a guitar, certain applications require a rocking bridge, which was actually made by bigsby, and supplied with the tremelo.

• Members

ok, ive done some research on this a little and it turns out this 175-d does have the correct bridge for this setup. when they put a bigsby vibrato unit on a guitar, certain applications require a rocking bridge, which was actually made by bigsby, and supplied with the tremelo.

well sweet, now just track down the original knobs and tuners!

• Members

lol, ya

i am having a little prob with it ive never had before tho. if i dont use the trem, it stays in tune really good. really big bends, no problem, but if i use the tremelo, when i release pressure, the 3rd from smallest string (is that the d?) comes back a little high (is that called sharp?)

anyway, i can do a big bend on that string and its right back in perfect tune after that.

the strings are really old. could that make it do that?

ive tried to lube the strings on the bridge and on the nut with a little graphite, but it didnt help.

• Members

lol, ya

i am having a little prob with it ive never had before tho. if i dont use the trem, it stays in tune really good. really big bends, no problem, but if i use the tremelo, when i release pressure, the 3rd from smallest string (is that the d?) comes back a little high (is that called sharp?)

anyway, i can do a big bend on that string and its right back in perfect tune after that.

the strings are really old. could that make it do that?

ive tried to lube the strings on the bridge and on the nut with a little graphite, but it didnt help.

3rd string is G and is always the one that seems too go out of tune easiest. Even on non trem guitars.

I would definitely change the strings anyway. A fresh set will perk up that thing like crazy.

Gorgeous guitar by the way.

• Members

thx a million on the comps sound creation.

good advice on the string change. i think i will. now to decide on which ones?

i play it a little heavier than it was probably designed for. i wouldnt say heavy metal-ish, but definitly rock oriented.

ive looked at the ernie ball super slinkys, as well as the extra slinkys.

( by the way, not to sound goofy, but when you say "3rd string", that is the 3rd from the bottom right? )

so in other words, the fifth for example, would be the next to biggest string, right?

ive never really learned that, lol.

• Members

Yeah it goes 1 high to 6 low in terms of pitch. So fattest string is the 6th and thinnest is 1st. It is a bit strange because when you look down at your guitar while playing the 1st string you see is the fat one so the brain wants to think of it as number 1. At least mine did at first. I had to condition my self a little bit to remember 1 as high e.

Archived