Flat wounds on a tele?

bad mutha-humpa

• Members

Try it! it's just about the simplest change you can make and it WILL change your sound a lot. I love the sound of flatwounds but I find the sound less versatile than regular strings. Only you can tell if you like it, and there's no reason not to try

• Members

I tried it and it was meh...Luther Perkins used them and I think Don Rich did too at some point...It seems like they suck the twang out a little bit but obviously this isn't true for everyone.
I used them (Fender Chrome Flats) on my Jaguar just to soften the harshness and round it out a bit

The wound G I didn't like, when bending you have to bend the note about 50% more to get to pitch and its a PITA to get used too. I just rather have an unwound G.

Try them. flats feel amazing, and last forever.

• Members

Without a doubt, you'll lose some twang.

I think I prefer 11s, but if you go with 10s, you'll stay slightly twangier.

The drawback to the wound G is it's pretty hard to bend. DAddario Chromes in 11s, I can barely bend the G a half a step. With Thomastik 10s, I can just about bend the G a whole step, but not quite.

I say go for it. You'll be surprised how much fuller your guitar will sound and how much more bottom end you have.

Archived