give us yer LP HISTORIC reissue stories

hahavishnu

• Members

I have an R0, a 2002 Std. a 1996 Classic PP. (and a 77 Custom).

I love thin necks. While the R0 is thin, it's not 60s neck thin, so I really like my USA Gibsons.

They are all great guitars.

I've sometimes thought of selling the 96 and the 02 and get a nice flamey R0, but then I thought naa.

• Members

Here's my story: Once upon a time I went to the local guitar emporium to check out a Gibson R7. I took a look at the price tag, and the next thing I knew someone was pouring water on my face as I lay prostrate on the floor. I walked out of the shop sans guitar and lived happily ever after. The end...

• Members

Here's my 2004 gloss finish R9

IMG_0006.jpg

compared to the dozens of standards I've owned (anywhere from the late 80's to fairly recent), I like it a lot more. resonates nicer, neck/middle position sounds clearer when distorted, and it looks great :cop:

in playability, it does have a nicer feel. whether or not it's worth that much more, i don't know.

• Members

I have a story:

Once upon a time I was at a GC, just browsing, but they had two LP Customs on sale for a very attractive price ($1899 or something). I had an older Custom at home, but it was a player, and I wanted to get something cleaner. One was white, and one was black. I prefer the black ones.

So, I go into the amp room and plug in. I wasn't that happy with the guitar, it had some setup issues, and wasn't making me smile. A few minutes later, the salesman comes in with another one and says "give this a try". Now we're talking! The new one was much better than the first and I thought better than the one I had at home. A closer look reveals it is an R7 Custom from the Custom shop. A bit of haggling, and I took the R7 home and still have it today.

I played a lot of USA LP Customs before I bought my first one, and the R7 was just a nicer guitar.

I think the CS offerings are (usually) nicer than the USA Gibsons, at least among the ones I have played.

That said, I think the USA standards made a big step forward in quality in 2001, so your 2002 is probably a very nice LP.

Archived