ESP Vintage Plus vs. Fender Strat

LifesonFan2112

• Members

First of all I would like to say the search feature on this site is worthless. No matter what word I search it turns up no matches. I even put "Gibson" in the search and it said "no matches."

Anyway, I'm looking to get a Stratocaster when my tax return arrives. What's the concensus on the ESP Vintage Plus line? How does it compare to a Fender Strat of the same price (around $1400.00). I guess we can compare the ESP to a Jeff Beck signature or a Deluxe which has gone down to $1,100. Which guitar stays in tune better after using the trem? Will the ESP hold it's value? Build quality, sound quality, etc.

• Members

I had a vintage plus back in the mid 90s, great guitar. I ended up selling it and buying something else, because that's what I did back then. Now I really wish that I had kept it.

ESP doesn't hold value as well as Fender right now, but the most important thing should be how it plays.

• Members

I have a custom shop vintage plus, so its more comparable to say a custom shop strat at around the $1700-$2000 range.... I say its pretty much equivalent.

The build quality of the ESP is excellent, and more consistent than you would see with Fender, this is pretty common for higher end MIJ instruments though.

There are a bunch of Vintage Pluses out there, ranging from early ninetees less expensive models, to custom shop models and quite a few in between, so there will be different specs.

I would say to just try a bunch of guitars and buy the one you like best, I dont think anything else matters. Neither will gain value or lose value, so dont buy for that reason.

A lot of the vintage pluses come with noiseless dimarzio singles, which I dont particularly like, but then I also dont like the fender noiseless so IMO a pickup swap is required if you want to take full advantage of strat tone on either guitar. I put a set of Van Zandt Vintage Plus (the name is only coincidence) pickups in mine, and it sounds fantastic.

Buy whichever you like, I dont think you would regret either purchase as long as it feels good.

Heres a pic of mine. The reasons I prefered it over many fenders available to me at the time of purchase was #1, the neck is a not too thin, not too thick modern C shape that feels incredible, it also has some nice figuring. Contrary to the previous statement, the frets are NOT jumbo or super jumbo, in fact they are on the small side of medium, very vintage feeling.... plays great for me...

I also liked the sparkle finish, but thats not for everyone

005-6.jpg

• Members

The vintage plus guitars ESP is putting out now have extra jumbo frets.....at least according to ESP's website......The older ones may have been different, or maybe the previous poster's vintage plus has smaller frets because he mentioned it was a custom.

• Members

Some of the older ones did have vintage frets, but the newer one all have extra jumbo frets.

I have played a lot of the ESP strats, and every single one of them have been top notch. Very nice necks, easy to bend (big frets help), and just plain sound good. So have some Fenders, but not on such a consistent basis.

Resale values are lower for the ESPs. Why, I have no idea. To me they are the better guitar. Many LTDs I have played have been better guitars than others costing way more. I would take advantage of that.

Play a few of each if you can.

• Members

. Why, I have no idea. To me they are the better guitar. Many LTDs I have played have been better guitars than others costing way more. I would take advantage of that.

Play a few of each if you can.

because they don't have the word "Gibson" or "Fender" in the title

• Members

ESP doesn't hold their value.

Two things about that statement:

1. It is a fact

2. It defies logic

They are consistently fantastic instruments and they have been consistently one of the best quality guitar makers since the mid '80s.

Buy a used one and it will be a win-win for you.

• Members

ESP doesn't hold their value.

Two things about that statement:

1. It is a fact

2. It defies logic

They are consistently fantastic instruments and they have been consistently one of the best quality guitar makers since the mid '80s.

Buy a used one and it will be a win-win for you.

I got mine for roughly half what it would be brand new..... other brands that tank in resale are Tom Anderson..... again, no real reason, they just do, you can grab a used anderson strat for about $1400 canadian.... getting a new one would run you nearly $3000 after taxes....

unless you really have to buy new.... go used, its always a great idea IMO

Archived