les Paul junior string height?

45below

• Members

That's a pretty useless measurement when comparing btw instruments. What you want is the string to the top of the 12th fret measurement.

Typical is about 4/64ths at the 12th.

can be a useful measurment to know if you suspect your neck angle is a bit iffy, resulting in a jacked up bridge.

• Members

Compare what though. Action, height of the strings over the frets, or body clearance.

I don't mean to be a prick, just trying to sort out the details so you get the info you are after.
:)

Body clearance. I've been playing a strat for nearly all of my guitar years, and am planning on building a guitar similar to a Les Paul Junior. I played a Les Paul knockoff the other day and I didn't like how far the strings were from the body at the bridge.

I was wondering what the string height was, from the body to the strings, at the bridge of a Les Paul Jr, to determine wether or not I would have to put a fender hardtail bridge on there, or keep the original.

Thanks

• Members

Body clearance. I've been playing a strat for nearly all of my guitar years, and am planning on building a guitar similar to a Les Paul Junior. I played a Les Paul knockoff the other day and I didn't like how far the strings were from the body at the bridge.

I was wondering what the string height was, from the body to the strings, at the bridge of a Les Paul Jr, to determine wether or not I would have to put a fender hardtail bridge on there, or keep the original.

Thanks

a fender type bridge won't work because the necks in "most" gibson style guitar are set at an angle which causes the strings to be further from the body by the time they reach the bridge.

as you can see in this pretty nifty pic someone's done

Les_Paul.jpg

• Members

a fender type bridge won't work because the necks in "most" gibson style guitar are set at an angle which causes the strings to be further from the body by the time they reach the bridge.

as you can see in this pretty nifty pic someone's done

I see - that's like the knockoff I played yesterday.

I personally don't like the strings that far from the body... but since I'm going to be building it myself, maybe I can not set the neck at an angle, to keep the strings close.

I'm assuming the LP Jr wraparound bridge is made for the angled neck as well?

Thanks for the help.

• Members

I see - that's like the knockoff I played yesterday.

I personally don't like the strings that far from the body... but since I'm going to be building it myself, maybe I can not set the neck at an angle, to keep the strings close.

I'm assuming the LP Jr wraparound bridge is made for the angled neck as well?

Thanks for the help.

With a flat top I don't see any reason you can't pull that off and make it feel similar to your strat as far as string height off the body goes. It's all in the neck joint, and since you are building it, you have the opportunity to tweak it to your liking.

• Members

I can see your concern. I played my acoustic for so long a strat felt strange due to the reduced distance from the strings to the pickguard. So if you go from a Gibby style to a strat style guitar you'd have the same wierd feeling. Just get used to it, my friend.

Archived