Long-time Lurker, First-time post... a few fun questions for you all

ClockWatchTower

• Members

high... ummm, i mean "hi"

hahahaha

my name is... ummm Mason Verfroktur

i don't like norweigian black metal though

hahahahaha jk

i WAS wondering though, if you're at a really kick ass concert, would you like to hear your favorite band to kick out the jams in a more literal transcription from their album, as in:

or would you maybe prefer a re-interpretation, as displayed here:

i was also wondering if everything else being equal. that is everything except the body-wood. finish, pickups, neck, tuning machines. electrical wire guage.

and if all guitars were some how "weight-equalized" so that a mahogany strat body wouldn't wieght more than a basswood body.

do you think you could tell what body was made out of what wood?

• Members

I prefer as close to the original as possible when I go to a concert. I hate rambling jams in the middle and medleys of songs.

Mahogany is heavier than basswood, so yeah.

no, i'm not talkin about "rambling jam sessions". i don't like gratutous drum or guitar solos. what i MIGHT like is like some kind of really sick "intro presentation". like with the stage entirely blacked out, and something eminating there-from. an alien possession. something you've never heard before. like maybe just a repeating haiku with the soundtrack of a far-off thunderstorm approaching.

i was giving the example of the Led Zeppelin interpretation of The Song Remains the Same, because it wasn't "exactly to the record"

there were "imperfections"? maybe?

oh, and of course mahogany would be heavier, and i addressed that in my original post.

my origianl question stands: could you tell which body was basswood, alder, ash, mahogany, maple/mahogany, etc.... etc.... etc....bodywoods?

everything else being equal... including body wieight, you freak'n weenie

• Members

I like it when a band freestyles during live play it gives them a chance to showcase there talent..

As far as guitar wood yes i would be able to tell the difference by tone ..Mahogany sounds different from Ash and Basswood sounds different from Alder and so on and so forth

• Members

I like it when a band freestyles during live play it gives them a chance to showcase there talent..

As far as guitar wood yes i would be able to tell the difference by tone ..Mahogany sounds different from Ash and Basswood sounds different from Alder and so on and so forth

well, yes, all of the different guitars would sound different. because they were all different wood.

but could you pick which guitar was made with which wood?

• Members

nah, its not "showcasing" or "showboating" or "flashing" or "hamming-it-up" or "wanking". i've only been in garage bands. but we created songs. but we didn't know which was the ORIGINAL or the "benchmark" rendition. its not like we had an album, and that's what we played for our audience.

and certainly i didn't have technical talent enough to "freestyle" or "showcase" anything i had. ha hahaha hahahahahaha that thought is laughable. i could post my youtube channel account and you could see what a laughable joke my guitar playing is... and there's a whole lot more that i haven't uploaded to youtube.

but maybe i will do that, and turn it into some kind of "art project"?

• Members

Personally i love the idea of a band 'tweaking' thier songs for a live performance. If i wanted to hear it exactly like the album, i can just listen to the album, minus the 'live atmosphere/energy' type thing.;) Artists making the effort to give fans something a little bit different for a live show is greatly appreciated on my part, even some stripped down versions of songs, or rocked up versions of more humble songs, extended intro's, endings, interesting segues, a cover arranged to the style of the band, anything different and special compared to the live show, gives me something to remember and talk about, rather than come away from a great gig saying 'i liked the part where they played blank exactly as ive heard it before'??

But thats just me.............

Archived