How does a Les Paul Studio compare in sound to a regular Les Paul with same pickups?

axuality

• Members

I doubt I could tell the difference, if that's any help.

Tone ain't in the binding.
;)

Thank you, that's comforting to know. :) I knew about the binding difference, but not sure of any other "sound" difference.

• Members

Some Studios have a mahogany cap on a mahogany body (I knwo the fadeds do). Les Paul Standard has a maple top. The maple top should give it a "brighter" sound though, honestly, my ears can't tell the difference. Not really a better or worse thing (FWIW I believe the LP Customs have mahogany caps on mahogany bodies too) but just a different sound.

• Members

The original Les Paul Studio guitars were called a Les Paul Recording guitar which are a totally different animal from what they call a studio model now. They had Low impediance transformers, special low impediance pickups simular to P90s and wiring that worked like a DI so you could record direct.

None of the newer studio models have that now. The new studio models were designed for playability over cosmetics and may even be budget imports in some cases. Good guitars in general. Vintage Recording Pauls actually cost alot more than a standard model did at the time. Since they were actually functional studio guitars they didnt sell very many so they are fairly rare these days.

Heres some pics

• Members

Yep -the fadeds are all mahogany. The glossy Studios have the maple cap and would sound about the same as a Standard with the same electronics.

The Recording was a good guitar in it's own way, but the tone is pretty much everything a modern player wouldn't want.

Archived