DIEZELPOWER77

• Members

Sasquatch and the psychobillies

The Chop Tops

The Rocketz

Dragstrip Riot

No Dice

Calabrese

I can also recommend the video "Rockabilly electric guitar" by Paul Pigat for a place to start learning to play some rockabilly.

• Members

Find a copy of Jeff Beck's "Crazy Legs"

other 50s guys who haven't been mentioned...

Eddie Cochran
Buddy Holly
Jerry Lee Lewis

Also Scotty Moore, especially on the early Sun Sessions stuff with Elvis - great playing in that stuff.

danny gatton had a great feel for rockabilly, but never released a 'rockabilly' CD... his Sun Medley on 'Cruisin Deuces' is great, tho - and there are a few other jems scattered through his other releases.

Brian Setzer released a CD of early Sun Records covers that's really, really good.

• Members

Go to Viva Las Vegas at the Orleans in Las Vegas over Easter Weekend. Best Rockabilly event of the year. You will see so many different bands as well as vendors and thousands of Rockabilly people. Best weekend of the year.

Check out Cash O'Riley & the Downright Daddies

• Members

One of the best Robert Gordon, these are with the great Link Wray!!!

Link Wray defines cool!!!

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Flying Saucer Rock 'N' Roll... one of my favorite tunes of all time.
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Commander Cody, Duane Eddy

"Stickshifts and Safetybelts" by Cake is a good song to learn.

Also, three things essential to rockabilly/psychobilly are a hollowbody guitar, a good tube amp with a reasonable amount of break-up, and reverb.

The perfect rig, IMO, would be a Gretsch G5122 through a Fender Reverb box into a Bassman or some such amp.

• Members

Also, three things essential to rockabilly/psychobilly are a hollowbody guitar, a good tube amp with a reasonable amount of break-up, and reverb.

The perfect rig, IMO, would be a Gretsch G5122 through a Fender Reverb box into a Bassman or some such amp.

Or, just an acoustic & yer voice.

• Members

Visit Jackson, TN (where I am currently).

This is where the Rockabilly Hall of Fame is.

I've gotten to shoot the {censored} with quite a few guys about their days in the music business & it's great everytime. W.S. Holland was so cool.

I was there last October. Although it was OK to visit, it was a bit of a letdown, not really that much to see. The upstairs was closed when we were there so we may have missed some interesting stuff, but overall it wasn't particularly impressive. Having the Elvis defibrillator as an exhibit was a bit of a surprise, though.

Really poor lunch at The Baker's Rack, too. Should have gone to Latham's again.

• Members

The Creepshow (http://www.thecreepshow.org/)
The Matadors (http://www.thematadors.net/)
Captain Glegg and the Night Creatures (http://captainclegg.com/)
Lee Rocker (http://www.leerocker.com/main.htm)
Hellcat and the Prowl (http://www.myspace.com/hellcatandtheprowl)

I really like all of these bands and quite a few that have already been mentioned. Lee Rocker is great and does a good mix of both genres. He does a version of Rock This Town on Racin' the Devil that is better than the original (IMO). He was the original bassist for the Stray Cats anyways. His album Black Cat Bone is great too. The Creepshow's Sell Your Soul is a great psychobilly album. Make sure to check out The Matadors too. Hooch is a great leader for that band. They wrote and performed my favorite tune of the genre called Burning Desire. Check them all out!

[YOUTUBE]Yu3Rfc9fr-0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]uHfc0LvoJRk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]mDbSRJLt_LU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]7eDsCT8BpCE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I was gonna ask bout gear. Any recommendations? What about amps? Seems like a halfstack would be overkill, especially since the tones are just overdriven, and not like a high-gain amp.

A big part of the rockabilly sound is a slap back delay. The quickest easiest way to experiment with this is a Danelectro Fab Echo pedal. You can find them anywhere for $15-20.

The overdrive depends on what you're going for, but I think it sounds best if your amp is just at the point of breakup. It's clean on the single note runs, but it breaks up when you dig into chords or leads.

As for the guitar...I've heard great rockabilly on everything from a Gretsch to a Telecaster. My preference is the mid position between two Dynasonics or p90s, but I'm sure that can be disputed.

• Members

I'm looking to get into this kinda music, and am looking for a place to start. I'm looking for music to listen to, and how to learn to play it. I'm already in the know of Brian Setzer, and Reverend Horton Heat(my fave).

Gene Vincent for sure, especially Race With The Devil and Gliff's Gallup.

Archived