How much is a 1969 strat worth?

nieveulv

• Members

Just got a deal on a 1969 strat..Want to know what is the value of it approximately..It is 100% original and is in a players condition (scratches and some dings)..the problem is..quite a distance to test and play the guitar :lol:

dsc04307j.jpg

dsc04302p.jpg

Thanks all :thu:

• Members

an all-original 69 strat would be worth in excess of $5K, perhaps even nearing $10K.

There is no way that is 'all original'... the yellowing on the knobs isn't even from knob-to-knob, and there's no way the knobs are that yellow and the pickup covers and pickguard are bright white. The paint on the body also looks much too fresh and shiny, as opposed to the yellowing of the neck.

Refinishing, and/or changing parts can devalue an instrument by more than 50%.

• Members

Back in the late 70's/early 80's, those were considered "crap" as they were CBS era guitars and you could hardly give them away. Fast forward 30+ years and they are vintage and everyone that is selling them thinks they are worth a small fortune and demand for those guitars has skyrocketed. Its a funny world we live in.

That guitar is pretty much off the richter scale as far as cool vibe goes, as lots of folks will associate it with Hendrix. Its definitely a nice looking guitar from the pics you posted, assuming its basically original and not a partscaster, the Blue Book shows the following:

Mint $12,000

Exc.+ $9,500

Exc. $7,500

Avg.+ $6,000

Avg. $5,000

General $4,000

That doesn't take into account whether or not the seller wants to factor in "Hendrix" due to it being white, which I have seen people get *really* stupid over (asking around $20-25k, altho I have no idea if anyone has ever gotten their asking price).

Realistic fair market pricing, without seeing the guitar or knowing any details, much less how well it plays or sounds, is going to be somewhere around $5-6k to me. Other people might find it to be much more valuable, and if they want to spend more on it, good for them, but considering Gruhn is selling refinished 50's tele's and strats in the $8k range, given the current economy, I think it caps the value of CBS guitars at $6-7k unless it was owned by a celebrity.

• Members

I kinda believe that it's the real thing. Look at the rust on the bridge pieces and pickguard/jackplate screws. The headstock looks like it might be pretty yellowed, but it is hard to tell from the photo angle. The finish does look unworn in context with the rust and the yellowing of the knobs, but it could be refinished. Refinishing would knock the value down a good bit if you are buying it to collect, but if you are buying a player the refinished guitar works in your favor to get the price right.

• Members

Checking completed eBay auctions, a refinished one went for $4300, two non-refinished sunburst ones went for $6500 and $6900. So yours would probably bring somewhere around $7k if you tried to sell it, though some buyers might pay a premium for yours since it's not sunburst and it has the whole Hendrix vibe.

You're sure it's all original? Did you check the stamp on the neck heel? Did you check the dates on the pickups? Date codes on the pots?

• Members

that guitar looks kinda fishy. The neck might be a '69, but that body... looks like its from a totally different instrument.

if the guitar is truly vintage, the seller shouldnt have a problem providing you with some stamp/gut shots. if it were me in that position (being that he's definitely asking more than $150, right?), it'd be a wise choice to ask him for pot codes as well.

when i worked at GC a while ago, a guy i dealt with traded in a custom late '60s (white blonde, rosewood neck, all original, closet classic) for an EJ strat. a dumb move on his part, but my boss had nothing but good things to say about me when i nailed it down. i'm just saying, from my experience, there are late-60's strats with RW boards, but that is wayyyy too minty to be vintage to my eyes.

• Members

You guys have better eyes than I do, if you can see all that from the pictures that were posted. While the knobs are discolored differently, you'll see that if the owner just sets the tone knob and ten and never touches it. Or maybe it fell off and had to be replaced? There are many stories behind most 30+year old guitars, and inspecting it is about the way to know for sure. The only thing I would say definitively is that I personally wouldn't be buying a $x000 guitar based off of just those pictures.

Archived