Tried the Marshall Class 5 today...

Willyguitar

• Members

Right - update on the class 5.

Tried it again this am, first thing, on teh way to work. I compared it again to the Vox and a HT5. It's definitely the best of the bunch I reckon overall... however, thanks for alerting the cab vibration problems to me, because that was the only drawback - buzzzzzzz. Headphone sound was also quite bad, but really that was only a minor bonus feature and wouldn't stop me getting one.

I'm going to wait until another one comes along and see if that buzzzzes, and if not, probably get it.

• Members

Were you able to discern the cause of the buzz?

It was difficult, and at first I wasn't sure whether it was the cab at all, as there was a lot of buzzing of other equipment, bits of wall fixture in the cell where I was playing, buzzing in sympathetic symphony.

However, I took it to a different part of the shop, and then realised that there was a kind of quite high pitched buzz coming from what sounded like near the top of the combo... although it was difficult to tell exactly. It was loud enough to be annoying. It could have been the metal grille at the top. I felt that it might have been fixable, but might not, and as great as the thing sounded (I mean, really great - Plexi great to my ears), I wasn't going to fork out for it with that problem. On the other hand, it could have been one of the valves, which probably could have been sorted easily. It sounded more 'global' than that though, something down to the overall vibration of the thing.

My plan is to wait until it comes into my local, smaller shop (which I feel a bit more loyal to in any case), which should be Wednesday, and see if that one has the same problem.

• Members

Good to know.

I don't know how I would do needing to rely on the volume for gain though - I do like to be able to dial it in at lower volume too.

Still the one I've tried was MUCH better than than the HT5 - the HT5 sure has loads of features, but I'd rather have something simple that sounds really good.

I'd really like one of those though:

minimat.jpg

-4 WATTS -6V6 output tube
-2x ECC83 pre-amp tubes
-POWER ATTENUATOR (control on back)
-HAND MADE
-MASTER VOLUME
+ built in VALVE BOOST, controlable via pot on the frontpanel and switchable via footswitch

Can be had as a 12

• Moderators
Good to know.

I don't know how I would do needing to rely on the volume for gain though - I do like to be able to dial it in at lower volume too.

Still the one I've tried was MUCH better than than the HT5 - the HT5 sure has loads of features, but I'd rather have something simple that sounds really good.

I'd really like one of those though:

minimat.jpg

Can be had as a 12

• Moderators
Oh?

Interesting! The thing is you see, I have an incredibly GAS for most things Matamp related - yet I've never tried one cos they're so scarce.
:rolleyes:

What was it that you didn't like?

Was it the 2W or 4W model?

How did the attenuator/master volume work?

I had the 2W, it sounded bland and the attenuator I have little recoolection of it's functionality

But thats my ear, you may differ

• Members

I've never really found that power scaling and attenuation works as well as you expect - you really can't quite get that sound when you turn it up, not sure why. I fancy the idea of having a simple amp with just one volume... live life on the edge I say!

• Members

There sure is a lot going for it.

I love pushing my Rockerverb clean channel to break up/overdrive point, but it's so bloody loud I have to be sure both my neighbours & fiancee are out at the same time!!!!!!! :)

Luckily it's got the gain channel too. That's why I was building my hopes up on the minimat.....

I've come to think that a lot about good tone depends on sufficient air being amoved anyway, and volume has to be part of the equation. :D

• Members

I've read a lot of good reports on them so I went to my local music store to check one out, and possibly buy it. But to be honest, I was a bit disappointed with it (for my use). It's a great little amp for crunchy rock and blues, but had very limited clean headroom - it started breaking up really early at low volume. A lot of people will be happy about that and will want it for that reason, but I was hoping to be able to get a bit more clean volume out of it. I guess early breakup goes with the territory on low watt tube amps - my 70's silverface Vibro Champ was the same way. So not to say anything bad about the Class 5, but it just didn't work for me.

• Members

I have one and love it.

to address the issues in this thread:

1. the rattle that people hear: there is already a fix for this if yours is one of the ones that still has the problem (marshal has been implementing the fix at the factory already) all you have to do is remove the chassis, and put foam tape, or felt tape on all of the sides that will touch the cabinet, then screw it back in. and presto, no more rattle.

2. Clean headroom: personally i feel there is more than enough for most situations. yes, if you turn up the amp it will overdrive, that is why the guitar gods placed a volume control on your guitar. I love playing this amp dimed and just playing my guitar volume to control the overdrive. But keep in mind that when you do that you will not get chimey clean tones, you will be working with warm hairy clean tones.

• Members

Mine is being delivered Monday - can't wait. I plan on using it by itself at bedroom volumes, or through a 4x12 cab at band practice. With a large cab I think the clean headroom will improve. Didn't buy it for clean tones though...

Archived