Guitars whose great aesthetics are ruined by fugly headstocks.

PancakeBunny

• Members

Or... very high quality guitars whose headstocks make them appear to be some sort of wacky cheap Chinese import.

First we have... 287164639MujjpU_ph.jpg

Some might disagree with me on this one... but I find Suhr headstocks to be pretty fugly. They make beautiful wonderful guitars but damn. Still, far from being the worst offender I can think of.

suhr2.jpg

This pains me to say because Terry is an unbelievably nice guy and his guitars are A+++++++ when it comes to looks and quality but...

30U-13899_headstock-front.jpg

McInturff headstocks make me sad. They look like Soloway headstocks after being stretched on a rack.

Let me clear my palette by posting what I think is a really nice headstock design on a smaller builder guitar.

COLF_headstock-front.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

XV820_headstock.jpg

I absolutely hate that :facepalm:

It just reeks "cheap copy". I've heard praise for that brand on here, so I'm not actually going to call them cheap (I've never played one, so I can't comment), but that headstock just makes it look so cheap to me.

Perhaps it was a bad experience I had. I bought a Shine guitar, a white Strat copy, and it was absolutely awful in every possible way. Went right back to the store the next day. And it had that same headstock... so whenever I see a guitar with that headstock shape, memories of cheap-ass copies with awful build quality come running back :(

• Members

I suppose its arguable if the headstock ruins the aesthetics or if the body ruins them (I like it but the headstock is an abomination):

01.jpg

Naturally the reverse V Dean thing is horrible, especially on this:

dean-cadillac1980_500_ffffff.jpg

Never liked the Heritage headstock, or the hamer one which is pretty similar:

heritage_headstock.jpg

AUT_2166.JPG

• Members

I really like the Collings headstock.

Here in the UK there's a particular headstock shape that turns up on a lot of cheap LPs. I presume that it's the standard shape for one of the Chinese factories, and they slap different brand names on it. Here's an example HasGuitar LP.

ss%20gibson%20les%20paul.jpg

ss%20gibson%20lp%20heads%20hasguitar.jpg

Sort of like an open book headstock where they haven't cut out the "spine".

I can't remember which brand, but there was some midrange to higher end LP which had the same headstock. While there's nothing particularly wrong with the headstock shape, it's associated in my head with cheapness.

• Members

The guitars that look like shit with or without the fugly headstock don't really belong in this thread though. I don't so much mean it as a "post fugly headstocks" thread so much as I meant it as a butter face thread for guitars instead of people. :p Pretty from the neck down.

Heritage is a great example and so is Hamer. The Heritage I used to have was such a beautiful guitar and the headstock almost ruins it!

Dean is not and neither is that abomination of a Gibson! Blech!

• Members

The guitars that look like shit with or without the fugly headstock don't really belong in this thread though. I don't so much mean it as a "post fugly headstocks" thread so much as I meant it as a butter face thread for guitars instead of people.
:p
Pretty from the neck down.

Heritage is a great example and so is Hamer. The Heritage I used to have was such a beautiful guitar and the headstock almost ruins it!

Dean is not and neither is that abomination of a Gibson! Blech!

Well their headstocks ruin it for me anyway ;)

Oh and I suppose this one doesnt count either?

4177478259_76eb49c506_o.jpg

(Zachary guitar Moderne copy. He uses that godawful headstock for a lot of, if not all of his stuff)

And now I think Ill leave this thread alone for a while :freak:

• Members

Strange, I think the Flying V headstock is quite a good one, and well suited to its body... each to their own I guess
:idk:

+1. It would looks weird with a standard Gibson/Epi headstock. Can you imagine a V with one of those horrible Epi headstocks? No, no no... :cry:

Also, fucking agreed on Dean. If I were a tree, and was any kind of wood that is used for guitars, I would be scared shitless about becoming a Dean. I'd rather be a nice Fender Strat :)

• Members

James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler

James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler

TYLER

James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler

James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler James Tyler

120169527818-5.jpg

• Members

Well their headstocks ruin it for
me
anyway
;)

Oh and I suppose this one doesnt count either?

4177478259_76eb49c506_o.jpg
(Zachary guitar Moderne copy. He uses that godawful headstock for a lot of, if not all of his stuff)

And now I think Ill leave this thread alone for a while
:freak:

GAH! You beat me to it!

180706_36.JPG

Archived