Nice Van Halen Story...

EricFoss

• Members

it was like that back then. I went to plenty of hard rock/metal concerts at the War Memorial hockey arena, and they were all giant parties. {censored}ing weed EVERYWHERE, no hassles, chicks dressed like hos and all the guys wearing denim jackets with Judas Priest patches sewn on the back!
Without exception the bands were loud, proud, and ofter sloppy but no one cared very much. Dio, Motley, Ozzy, Triumph, Rush, Yngwie (hit him with a clip-on earring), Metallica, Y&T, etc etc.. all the big bands of the day.
The live concert biz was thriving and you could count on at least 8 - 10 big shows a year....now we're lucky if we get a couple of summer festivals :-(

• Members

Nice story. Those days are long gone and were the greatest. There was a great show coming through at least once a month if not more. It was like a huge party. Everyone having a good time. The local music scene was hopping back then also. You could always find a great original band playing. The local clubs were comfertable and fun. I miss those days. Now when there is a show there alway seems to be trouble. With the exception of a few bands the local music scene seems kind of crappy to me. And you know what I still think chicks in tight jeans and big hair are hot!

• Members

Very cool. I've been on a big Van Halen kick the last week or so, so perfect timing with the post.

My first concert was GnR with Skid Row opening at Alpine Valley - my older brother & sister took me & a friend. No shenanigans, but still a good time.

• Members

Sweet story. I just wished I had lived in the eighties sometimes

It was a fun time for sure. Rock/metal concerts were a blast and only 20 bucks! The shows were usually very theatrical and as an impressionable young teen it sold me on music. But the eighties were also very splintered and cliquey musically. If you were into metal you could NOT be into punk. And if you were punk you'd get into fights with metalheads just for looking that way.

Personally I had just as much fun when the 90's rolled around and I started going to Janes addiction, pearl jam, and lolapolloza concerts. The crowds were much more fun to be in than the aggro 80's rock/metal crowds who always seemed to be pissed off if they were touched in a standing room only crowd. When Jane's Addiction combined the punk crowds and their slam dance pick each other back up with a smile attitude, with us rockers...well we all learned something about having fun at a show.

• Members

You Nor Cal guys must remember the Day on the Green shows @ the Oakland Coliseum.

Check out these lineups. Ticket prices were usually $12-15. I went to most of these with the exception of the funk and pop stuff. What a great time to be 18-20 yrs old. :thu:

* Day On The Green #1: The Beach Boys, Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Parton, Elvin Bishop, Norton Buffalo (May 28, 1978)

* Day On The Green #2: Steve Miller, Bob Seger, Outlaws, Ronnie Montrose, Toby Beau Band (June 17, 1978)

* Day On The Green #3: Aerosmith, Foreigner, Pat Travers, Van Halen, AC/DC (July 23, 1978) This was the first U.S. tour for Van Halen.

* Day On The Green #4: The Rolling Stones, Santana, Eddie Money, Peter Tosh, Toots and the Maytals (July 26, 1978)
Bill Graham had a huge 'Lip & Tongue' Stones Logo built as the stage for this show on Mick Jagger's birthday. As the Rolling Stones finally came on stage 2+ hours after Santana finished playing, two helicopters flew around the stadium dropping blowup dolls and ping-pong balls stamped with the stones tongue logo into the crowd. As everyone looked up to the sky, the Stones appeared out of nowhere, playing Let it Rock from the tongue of the stage.

* Day On The Green #5: Ted Nugent, Blue

• Members
Cool story.

I LIVED those years.

Wild, totally untamed and out of our minds.

Here is a similar story from a similar thread I did awhile back.

This is what concerts used to be like: SEX DRUGS and ROCK and ROLL

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2328166

Cool story. I was just a kid at the end of the '80s, but I did get to see a prime concert with a young Metallica and Motley Crue on the last "real" Crue tour. Boobs were flashed, drinks were downed, drugs were taken, and a good time had by all, even got to watch some metalslut catfights. :love:

I wish I could have been there for the '83 US Festival and the '80s Monsters of Rock shows, not to mention Ozzy with Randy and early Maiden and Priest. :cool:

• Members

Bydo, Alpine Valley? SRV met his demise there. Have you heard his brothers song about that incident? Alpine Valley?

Yep, and my guitar teacher had tickets to that very show, but I couldn't go for some reason. Instead I ended up listening to the radio that night when an audibly choked-up DJ did an off-the-cuff tribute to SRV, playing some really cool in-the-studio tracks I'd never heard before or since. I taped most of the show, but loaned the cassette to someone and never got it back. :( There was one awesome made-up-on-the-fly number he did with him on electric and Chris Layton playing the phone book. Wish I still had that tape.

Amazing to think that not that long ago DJs actually had shows on the radio, and could get away with playing things they wanted to play.

Check out these lineups. Ticket prices were usually $12-15. I went to most of these with the exception of the funk and pop stuff. What a great time to be 18-20 yrs old.

Wow, what a great bunch of shows!

• Members

Cool story.

I LIVED those years.

Wild, totally untamed and out of our minds.

Here is a similar story from a similar thread I did awhile back.

Thanks for posting that link. I enjoyed reading your story and the replies. Cool stuff...

Archived