BUILDING A FIBERGLASS GUITAR

mikerayhall

• Members

okay thats what im gonna use cause its affordable and i can find it..

im gonna get started on the foam sculpture..

will post pics soon..

i really dread getting everything all lined up right..

im gonna make the neck pocket to fit a strat or tele standard size neck.

Whatever you do...

POST PICS!

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One other note about making a Fiberglass Guitar is that if you make one that is an acoustic, such as the model I made, then you have to consider the thickness of the cloth matte you use as well as anything that can stabalize the material from warping in regards to the top. In my case, I used a sheet of carbon fiber in between the two layers of glass and allowed the top to stiffen without any warpage; this aslo allows for the thickness to be minimal to give the desired tone an acoustic should have. I also installed a Roland GK-3 Divided Pickup on my fiberglass guitar of which has made this a real fun instrument to play through the Roland VG-88. I kick down any feedback while playing electric by using a Lute Hole Cover on the soundhole. I have pictures I can post, but they are the ones prior to the pickup installation.

• Members

One other note about making a Fiberglass Guitar is that if you make one that is an acoustic, such as the model I made, then you have to consider the thickness of the cloth matte you use as well as anything that can stabalize the material from warping in regards to the top. In my case, I used a sheet of carbon fiber in between the two layers of glass and allowed the top to stiffen without any warpage; this aslo allows for the thickness to be minimal to give the desired tone an acoustic should have. I also installed a Roland GK-3 Divided Pickup on my fiberglass guitar of which has made this a real fun instrument to play through the Roland VG-88. I kick down any feedback while playing electric by using a Lute Hole Cover on the soundhole. I have pictures I can post, but they are the ones prior to the pickup installation.

Absolutely!!!

Post pics.

I WILL get around to building a fiberglass hollow body some time. I just have WAY too many projects I a,m in the middle of right now and need to get some of them finished first.

• Members

:lol:

Sailing instructor doesnt make you a boat builder.

It will NOT take alot of fiberglass.

He is talking about making a hollow body, in which case he has two reasonalbe choices.

A. Make a mold in two halves, a top and a bottom, lay in his cloth or raw fibers, epoxy, etc.

OR, he could use some kind of preshaped core material, maybe foam or similar.

He could even make a shape out of wax, lay the fiberglass over it, let it cure, and then melt the wax out of it leaving a hollow shell.

There are ALOT of ways to make a hollow body fiberglass shell without using a "ludicrous" amount of fiberglass as you put it.

Even a solid guitar made completely out of fiberglass and epoxy wouldnt take alot of fiberglass.

Edit: Whoops, didnt catch the part where you said "Edit: whoops didnt catch the hollow body part":lol:

I immediately started thinking foam core . . . as in using surfboard foam or something . . . then three sheets of glass and resin . . . . I think that would be easiest. Foam is pretty easy to shape.

I don't think it would be as difficult as some people seem to think.

You can shape the foam using normal hand tools (saws, chisels, sanders, etc.). Once the foam is shaped, you can use it as the mold for the glass & resin. After that, if you plan right, you can remove the foam leaving a hollow body, or leave it in. You could carve the foam to allow for anything (such as a central wood core in line with the neck for additional support, etc.), then glass, then assemble.

It would take a lot of thought, but I don't think it would be impossible. Make sure you ventilate well if you work with the foam and resin though, both can mess up your lungs (and brain) :).

• Members

I'd love to see a foam-core, surfboard-style build, even though it probably wouldn't resonate very well. Still worth trying, though.
:thu:

I just have a vision of doing a neck through, with the neck looking like the stringers on a surfboard :)

Hmmm, that could make for a VERY interesting build :)

• Members

has anyone out there attempted this before..

the neck is gonna have to be wood..

but i think this will be a very interesting project

does anyone have any helpful info

i think im gonna build it out of
lexan

i might make a hollowbody.. bigger than the super 400

idk.. in over my head?

I'm confused; I know very little about fiberglass, but what does Lexan have to do with fiberglass?

• Members

my girlfriends uncle is a florist. so i could get a bunch of his foam for cheap
:thu:
i think that is what ill use.. its pretty soft..

but it will probably work.. if im careful with it..

im just gonna use the fiberglass i found at walmart in the paint and body department..

the bondo jelly resin

and the fiberglass matt

3M makes it..

thanks for all the awesome tips.

I recommend against using the jelly resin. It would be too thick. Jelly resin is similar in consistency to plastic body filler. It will make a mess of your matting when you start spreading it. Similar in effect as trying to spread Marshmallow Fluff on Wonder Bread.

Use the liquid resin. If Walmart doesn't carry it you can get it at any auto parts store. You can apply the liquid resin with a brush and you can also pour it on and then brush it. The liquid will lay out a lot smoother and consistent than jelly resin will.

• Members

Absolutely!!!

Post pics.

I WILL get around to building a fiberglass hollow body some time. I just have WAY too many projects I a,m in the middle of right now and need to get some of them finished first.

I will try and post some pics this week, as I have a new FRP guitar in the making as well using the same molds. However, this time I made sure to roll out as much of the extra resin from the body itself and for the top, this has a material substitution, same mold again for the top, but this time around I made this out of carbon fiber. Carbon fiber is a bitch to roll out btw, but is a perfect 1/8" thickness that has the same flex as spruce, but 100% stronger.

The first attempt/1st guitar was just too thick in regards to the top and this was due to to using 1/8" Nida Core structural honeycomb (www.nida-core.com) as a stiffener that was between my layers of matt glass. FRP will warp so this was used to make sure that there would be no warping once the bridge was set. It worked, but makes for a heavy and thick top & is why I made this into an electric...It is a prototype afterall.

• Members

You might try carbon fiber. The fiberglass is going to be really heavy.

Just sayin'

Best of luck in your venture.

Wont be heavy. C.F. is very light per strength, but I

agree with you on just using C.F. alone with no core material sandwhiched between cloth layers.. You dont need a core at all. It will be strong enough. If you are worried about the bridge area, then just thicken it with another strip of cloth on the inside of the guitar underneath the bridge and then sand away till you feel the strength is sufficient withouyt comprimising the top's ability to vibrate, or make some C.F. wooden style braces

using any guitar as a model.

Big tip on joining edges.... between any right angles or hard edges, make sure you join them with nice smooth curved rounded fillets for maximum strength and to resist cracking at joints such as joing top to sides(if they are going to be seperate pieces) C.F. will be PLENTY strong just by itself.

Also.... TRY??? Try? to take picks?

Oh naw naw naw naw NAW!!!

You WILL take pics.:cop:

TODAY!!!!!:mad::mad:

PERIOD!!!!

• Members

The top matches up to the body perfectly and if you look at the pic of prototype 2 you see a white band above the black interior. I epoxy a reversed kerfing in that area of which creates the lip of which the top can then be adhered to the body with an epoxy. I use quite a few spool clamps spaced about a 1/2" distance from one another. Finishing is simple since the two halves match up and all I have is a paper thin seam of which can be easilly filled and sanded. The white finish on the prototype 1 is a laquer finish with a curly maple neck, ebony fretboard and a shaped ebony bridge. Tuners are Grover rotomatics.

• Members

Or, are the back and sides one piece of cloth?

Still .....top joining method?

Yes, they are one piece that was made from a pattern with just the slightest draft so that the mold as well as the piece could be pulled from it. The top is from another pattern and mold I made. All in all it's simply two molds. I wanted to keep it simple and in using fiberglass for so many years, the less work the better.

• Members

Yes, they are one piece that was made from a pattern with just the slightest draft so that the mold as well as the piece could be pulled from it. The top is from another pattern and mold I made. All in all it's simply two molds. I wanted to keep it simple and in using fiberglass for so many years, the less work the better.

Well, it looks really awesome, and It inspires me even more to ghet around to it soon.

I think since shapes are only limited by imagination, I will probably do something a little more radical.

Have you had one strung up yet?

How does it sound? Descent?

Archived