BUILDING A FIBERGLASS GUITAR

mikerayhall

• Members

has anyone out there attempted this before..

the neck is gonna have to be wood..

but i think this will be a very interesting project

does anyone have any helpful info

i think im gonna build it out of lexan

i might make a hollowbody.. bigger than the super 400

idk.. in over my head?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

has anyone out there attempted this before..

the neck is gonna have to be wood..

but i think this will be a very interesting project

does anyone have any helpful info

i think im gonna build it out of lexan

i might make a hollowbody.. bigger than the super 400

idk.. in over my head?

This project would be VERY involved, even for an experienced boat builder(me), but I would never try to discourage anyone from attempting something theyt are intersted in. The worst you could do is waste a little time and money and come away with alot more knowlege about the subject then you ever even knew existed before you first tried it, and a huge appreciation for the craft from trying it yourself.

The best you could do(not very likely on your first atttempt) would be to create a world class piece of art that plays and sounds better than you could have ever dreamed.

Yes. It absolutely can be done, but it is a very involved project.

• Members

yeah i know. its gonna be tough..

and i own a town and country airline that i gave an arm and a leg for..

i just wish it had a bigger body and eastwood doesnt make the re issues any bigger.. so im gonna prolly have a wall hanger on my first attempt

thats what i thought.

• Members

hmmmm, I would ask, why? If you built it out of fiberglass it would take a ludicriss amount of fiberglass to make a reasonibly thick guitar. You'd need to either put a piece of wood in the middle or use some kind of foam filler, which I doubt would have good tonal properties. And this is coming from a guy who works as sail instructor/boat maintance man at a yachtclub.

Edit, whoops didn't catch the hollow body part...

• Members

:lol:

hmmmm, I would ask, why? If you built it out of fiberglass it would take a ludicriss amount of fiberglass to make a reasonibly thick guitar. You'd need to either put a piece of wood in the middle or use some kind of foam filler, which I doubt would have good tonal properties. And this is coming from a guy who works as sail instructor/boat maintance man at a yachtclub.

Edit, whoops didn't catch the hollow body part...

Sailing instructor doesnt make you a boat builder.

It will NOT take alot of fiberglass.

He is talking about making a hollow body, in which case he has two reasonalbe choices.

A. Make a mold in two halves, a top and a bottom, lay in his cloth or raw fibers, epoxy, etc.

OR, he could use some kind of preshaped core material, maybe foam or similar.

He could even make a shape out of wax, lay the fiberglass over it, let it cure, and then melt the wax out of it leaving a hollow shell.

There are ALOT of ways to make a hollow body fiberglass shell without using a "ludicrous" amount of fiberglass as you put it.

Even a solid guitar made completely out of fiberglass and epoxy wouldnt take alot of fiberglass.

Edit: Whoops, didnt catch the part where you said "Edit: whoops didnt catch the hollow body part":lol:

• Members

yeah, i know airline did it in the 60's i was wondering if there was anyone on the forum that attempted it..

sorry for not making that clear

:)

No, I apologize for not adding a ":D" to the end of my original post. Now it's just a pissing match between myself and Dave :lol:

*I didn't forget this time :p

• Members

Would it be possible to shape the guitar like a surfboard? Make the shape out of foam and after covering it with fiberglass, pour some paint thinner in there to eat away the foam?

I guess the wood block would have to be used so as to install the neck, bridge and tailpiece onto the body?

youd probably want to do it alot like a wood hollow body is done. a block to mount the neck, and probably one at the bridge if its a tunomatic or strat hardtail type. mould the top and back, then glue them together with the wood blocks.

foam would work, but you wouldnt get as nice a surface finish and would need to do a lot of filling to get it smooth.

the "standard" way of doing shapes like this would be to build a positive out of clay or wood, then layer it with fibreglass to make a negative mould. then you use that to creat the final positive shells. this would give you the best chance at a nice surface and "precise" shape.

sound like fun.

oh.. and dave.. wheres that carbon guitar at?

• Members

No, I apologize for not adding a ":D" to the end of my original post. Now it's just a pissing match between myself and Dave
:lol:

*I didn't forget this time
:p

haha, its fine.

the wood block idea is definitely the way i would do it.. thats how im going to attempt it anyway.

ive never worked directly with fiberglass. so ive got alot of research to do.

:thu:

• Members

does wood glue work on fiberglass and wood?

The traditional hardener or encapsulation medium used for hardening fiberglass are two part epoxy resin systems. You could also use polyester resin.

I immagine you could even use wood glue, but the wood glue would not be waterproof and it would disintegrate with prolonged contact with water, sweat, etc, AND it wouldnt cure anywhere remotely as hard and as strong as epoxy.

The combination of the glass fibers and the very hard and very strong properties of the cured epoxy make the cured fiberglass VERY strong and hard for its weight.

There are alot of substances you could use for the encapsulation other than epoxy, but I am not sure why anyone would want to.,

No. Dont use wood glue.

• Members

im gonna make a mold for the front and back of the hollow fiberglass body

and bond them together with a separate strip of fiber glass. at the seam.

this should work???

This is the best method to achieve your goal.

Go to a book store or the library and get a book an the basics of fiberglass building and repair how to's. There are plenty of them out there, and there is alot to know about this subject if you have never worked with it before. You can get a ton of info out of one of these books.

Archived