Show us your very budget rigs !

SirJackdeFuzz

• Members

My budget amp is a Roland Cube 30. I've used it for practice, rehearsals and even gigged it once when my tube amp failed on me. It's also my only amp in this country.

I don't have a budget electric guitar, though: my Heritage H535 and H530 are probably my least valuable ones. :o

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would LOVE to find a U2 for under $100! Awesome.

Yeah, I could tell the manager was pretty mad when I checked out. It had to have been priced wrong. There are only 2 ways that I have ever gotten good deals at pawn shops , either they screw up or don't know what they have.

• Members

You should really use a speaker cable instead of an instrument cable. The small gauge wire in the shielded instrument cable is simply not meant to carry the current of an amplified signal.

Hmmm...Good to know, thanks! :wave:

(As much as I tinker with guitars, I know very little about amps)

• Members

That's really all you need to jam at home:thu: What does an unfinished guitar feel like? I've been thinking about building one and leaving it unfinished. Everyone talks about how finish robs toan
:idk:

It feels... well... like wood! It wasn't the best thing ever. I'd take a nice glossy finish over bare wood any day. It gets horrible and sweaty after a while... while, of course, I do keep myself clean, it still got black with dirt after a few months.

• Members

The guitar I bought for $40, did a refret on it, tuners are from another guys guit that got a set of sperzell lockers, electronics are from a new MIA strat that a guy had me install a pre-wired EMG active setup on...he gave me these...said he had no use for them.

The bridge pu is a little spikey for my taste, so am going to re-wire the back tone pot for the bridge.

Standard VJ combo...it's the only amp I've got here at the house...other stuff is at the rehearsal room.

I could be happy with this if it were all I had to play on...it's all about making music, not how much I've got invested in gear.:)

oldstrat6.jpg

• Members

Before I owned my first tube amp in '07, I was a ss guy for years, and have gigged with these:

Guitars: Washburn N1 ($175) , LTD EC-100 ($300), OLP MM1 ($180)

Amps: Drive G120VR ($200 clearance on MF) later on G65VR (which I bought for $200 on evilBay)

Effects: Johnson J-Station ($150)

A lot of guys and random people complemented my tone using those cheap gear.

• Members

A lot of guys and random people complemented my tone using those cheap gear.

I probably got more compliments about my live tone in the mid 90s when I was using a Digitech GSP21 Legend preamp into a SS Peavey Classic Chorus 212 than I have with any of my tube amps.

• Members

l_61ba5f99f4cd87b9cfb30c1945254d32

1981 Hamer Special - $100 used

MusicMan HD130 head - $225 used

birch ply 1x12 - free

PAS G1280 speaker - $25

So I've got $350 invested in the guitar and amp. I've gigged and recorded with this rig.

You'll have to ignore the pedal board filled with boutique and vintage effects though. Half of those pedals I've gotten for free or really cheap, but the other half cost more than the guitar and amp combined. :)

• Members

Hmmm...Good to know, thanks!
:wave:

(As much as I tinker with guitars, I know very little about amps)

My pleasure, it's a common mistake. It probably won't cause a lot of issues with your 10 watt ss Pathfinder, but I've seen some bad results with 100 watt tube heads when an uninformed owner used an instrument cable instead of a speaker cable. Speaker cables are cheap enough you may as well get into the habit now!

• Members

I see all your fun budget rigs, and raise you the first 410 combo of the thread:

Around $200, although it's not done yet.

vj410.jpg

I read your thread last week on this project...my compliments sir on your innovation!

• Members

I read your thread last week on this project...my compliments sir on your innovation!

Thanks!

Hopefully I'll get to work on it this weekend. I plan to cover it, but first I want to get some cages for the speakers and some handles and casters.

Right now this is my gigging amp, until I can find a deal on a Peavey Classic 50 410, so I need to at least get it to functional condition.

Archived