Show us your very budget rigs !

SirJackdeFuzz

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

used to own a gibson LP standard, and a fender twin. ive scaled down my rig. im a casual player and im just jamming at home. my rig was pretty inexpensive, but I stand by the tone as having great bang for the buck.

stratandv81.jpg

MIA palomino V8

CV 50's strat

(and i use a EHX Holy Grail reverb)

This has been my main rig for a while, and no plans to upgrade it.

• Members
This was my "rig" when I joined HCEGF in '04. I found this 80's Crate CR-112 at a thrift store for $50. I don't know why I bought it because I didn't own a guitar at the time or know how to play one. I decided to buy a guitar to go with it so I bought this J.Reynolds Stratocaster. Finding that amp is what gave me
The Disease

jreynolds_edited.jpg

I had that exact Crate CR-112 in 1981. I blew the speaker 3 times in her over a 2 year period.
I told my parents I wanted a Marshall 20 watt practice amp for Christmas 81 and the Crate CR-112 is what the sales guy talked them into.
Yay!

• Members

OK, my church rig:

superchamp.jpg

No pedals other than this:

200048.jpg

The amp is lined out to the PA. I bought the amp for $175 in a pawn, like new. Iirc the pedal was about $20 brand new. I also have an amp stand, it was on closeout in one of those Muso's Friend blowout catalogs that come when you order something (came when I ordered the SC XD pedal, karma!), under $10:

554374.jpg

So basically the amp, pedal, and stand for a little over two Benjamins.

I rotate through about 18 different electric guitars. While I may play my most expensive (Les Paul Classic, w/ohsc $750) on one Sunday, I may play a hundred-buck cheapie like my Peavey Predator Strat or my Brownsville Choirboy the next.

So basically there are plenty of Sundays where the amp+guitar rig is right around $300, playing in front of 150-300 people. Although I do ALWAYS have a backup guitar, and obviously (at a minimum) that's another Benjamin.

My mandolin "rig" is even cheaper though. I use an acoustic-electric mandolin (one of two), lined directly into the PA. On the Sundays that I use my cheapie Fender FM-52E SB ("SB" being "sunburst," I reckon), that would be this:

fm52e2.jpgfm52e1.jpg

I got the mandolin as part of a package deal. Mando plus pictured chipboard case, plus an Epi acoustic guitar plus chipboard case, plus a tuner, guitar strap, capo, and picks, for $120 total.

But wait, there's more.

Sold the Epi acoustic guitar and case for $75, kept everything else.

Meaning...

I got the mando (Muso's Friend/street price new: $240), plus a mandolin case, guitar strap, tuner, capo, and picks, for $45 net. Mandolin was like new. My other mando (Oscar Shmidt OM-10E) wasn't near as great a deal but still cheap ($85). So even if you add the Fender and Schmidt mandolins together so as to include backup axe, the "rig" of the two together is still only $130, which is pretty cheap for 2 acoustic-electric stringed instruments.

• Members
Current 'rig':

Squier Affinity Butterscotch Tele ($169)

Squier 51 (after mods $189)

DigiTech RP150 ($89)

Roland Cube 15 ($89)

And I
have
gigged with it
:thu:

How is the butterscotch tele? I've been thinking about one of these, they look sweet, and are cheap enough to mod the pizz out of...

• Members
amp004.jpg
I got this head at a yard sale for 5 bucks. After tightening a pre tube socket and giving it a cap & tube job it works great. I built a cab for it and built the speaker cab all out of scrap in my workshop. Got some used speakers and, voila! This is my sub $250 gig rig. With my homebuilt guitar and a G1X I gig regularly. Loud as hell!

By fay the most ghettoly awesome rig hands down! I love it!

• Members

I'll take a pic later as I don't have one handy, but my fugly Squier technically cost me $0 (though it was part of a package deal, so I consider that it cost $10 :lol: ) plus a Dimarzio Chopper that I have about $30 in. Plus my Vox DA5 was $70 used and I put an 8" Weber in it that was another $20 on eBay.

For budget gig-level amps, I got a Peavey Prowler for $160 used and put a $50 Celestion Relic speaker in it, $25 worth of Svetlana power tubes and a $10 JJ 12AT7 in V1.

:idk:

• Members
amp004.jpg
I got this head at a yard sale for 5 bucks. After tightening a pre tube socket and giving it a cap & tube job it works great. I built a cab for it and built the speaker cab all out of scrap in my workshop. Got some used speakers and, voila! This is my sub $250 gig rig. With my homebuilt guitar and a G1X I gig regularly. Loud as hell!

This is so sweet. I bet nit has a unique sound. any clips?

• Members

used to own a gibson LP standard, and a fender twin. ive scaled down my rig. im a casual player and im just jamming at home. my rig was pretty inexpensive, but I stand by the tone as having great bang for the buck.

stratandv81.jpg

MIA palomino V8

CV 50's strat

(and i use a EHX Holy Grail reverb)

This has been my main rig for a while, and no plans to upgrade it.

:thu:

This thread is badass

• Members

No pic of the entire rig, but if I was looking to go cheap with my set up I'd go:

Kramer Focus 1000
Peavey Prowler (Emi Wizard swapped in)
Barber Dirty Bomb
Boss BF-3
Cool Cat Chorus

That's a total of under $800 for a rig that can cover everything from sparkly clean to wrecking ball metal.

• Members

:confused:
how r u getting sound to the cab?

The Pathfinder has a line out for external speakers.
When I put the Jensens in the stereo cab I ran the wires to a 1/4" jack (it was actually an input jack from a project guitar). It's kind of dangling out the back at the moment :facepalm:...but it works. Run a standard guitar cable from the line out to the dangling input jack and voila! All I need to do to finish it is drill a hole in the back that I can mount the jack to.

• Members

A couple of pawn shop scores. This rig actually suits me quite well. I like to play surf and rockabilly type stuff. I'm a beginner so I don't need much. I have another guitar and amp, but this setup gets the most play. The Danelectro U2 was $60, and the Pathfinder 10 was $25. I'd definitely consider that "budget". I modded the pathfinder with a speaker out so that I could hook it to my 1x12 (DIY, Jensen MOD 12-35). I almost prefer the Vox over my Fender Champ 600.

p1010101.jpg

• Members
A couple of pawn shop scores. This rig actually suits me quite well. I like to play surf and rockabilly type stuff. I'm a beginner so I don't need much. I have another guitar and amp, but this setup gets the most play. The Danelectro U2 was $60, and the Pathfinder 10 was $25. I'd definitely consider that "budget". I modded the pathfinder with a speaker out so that I could hook it to my 1x12 (DIY, Jensen MOD 12-35). I almost prefer the Vox over my Fender Champ 600.

p1010101.jpg

I would LOVE to find a U2 for under $100! Awesome.

• Members

I see all your fun budget rigs, and raise you the first 410 combo of the thread:

Around $200, although it's not done yet.
vj410.jpg

I pulled this out of the closet of shame, and strung it up to see what it sounds like. It's not my best player, but it sounds damn fine. I think I will continue the refinish over the summer:

Got the guitar as part of a trade, 40 bucks for the Gibson P90
SDC10427.jpg

• Members
The Pathfinder has a line out for external speakers.

When I put the Jensens in the stereo cab I ran the wires to a 1/4" jack (it was actually an input jack from a project guitar). It's kind of dangling out the back at the moment
:facepalm:
...but it works. Run a standard guitar cable from the line out to the dangling input jack and voila! All I need to do to finish it is drill a hole in the back that I can mount the jack to.

You should really use a speaker cable instead of an instrument cable. The small gauge wire in the shielded instrument cable is simply not meant to carry the current of an amplified signal.

• Members

Not my only rig, but I totally could live with this for a very long time,

Yamaha Pac112j with GFS steal trem, $200

Terrific guitar.

pac112j.jpg

and a Bugera V5, $135.

img10364820373.jpg

I also need a delay, but my delay is not a budget pedal, so it wont count for this thread.

Archived