how to file fret ends?

hcprimerib

• Members

Well, I have an older jackson so it's had many years of season changes for the fretboard to swell/shrink. So there are a couple of fret edges that are sticking out a hair. What is the best way to de-bur these fret ends? I've never had to do any type of fret work.

• Members

Stew Mac has a nice little fret file. Careful and slow is a great recipe.

I got this one via eBay:

If you scroll down far enough there is a little youtube video that is a good primer.

I have the stewmac one and it works great. That one looks really nice too. What do you think of it?

• Members

I have the stewmac one and it works great. That one looks really nice too. What do you think of it?

I did two necks yesterday and one turned out really good because it wasn't attached to a body so I could really get the angles on it. The other one I need to have another go at because it is a set neck guitar and although I solved the 'fret overhang' issue with it I left a few sharp edges on the 'crests' or crowns on the edges.

I have seen wonderful fret filing jobs by really good and experienced guys and I have not been able to replicate the aesthetic qualities like that (mine look like nothing special - even maybe sloppyish) but when I run my fingers over the edges of the neck that is done it feels nice and smooth.

The file itself I have to give a 'thumbs up' to because of the flat surface sides on it (which I think the Stew Mac one has too) and that it seems to 'cut' predictably. The flat side help to keep you from messing up the fingerboard and so on. I bought a brass brush to clean it with as well. I'm certainly happy that I got a little file so that I can tackle these issues when they arise.

Archived