Anyone have the GFS Alnico II humbuckers?

Hotrod Lincoln

• Members

I have a set of them. I really like them. I don't really have any way to record a clip, plus there's that whole crappy guitar player bit. I don't encounter much free time until next week, but I can try and figure something out.

• Members

I have a set. They are very low output... probably the lowest output traditional humbuckers I've ever had. They also aren't terribly bright. I do like them though. But unless you are wanting a low output, darkish pickup, I wouldn't recommend them.

DSC_3239a1.jpg

• Members

I have a set. They are very low output... probably the lowest output traditional humbuckers I've ever had. They also aren't terribly bright. I do like them though. But unless you are wanting a low output, darkish pickup, I wouldn't recommend them.

DSC_3239a1.jpg

I would have though they would be more on the brighter side tonewise...:confused:

• Members

I have the Epi Studio with the GFS Alnico IIs, an Ibanez AX125 with Seth Lovers and an AX120 with 57 Classics. The 57s are the brightest and have the most output. The GFS and the Seth Lovers are about the same output, but the Seths have just a little bit more.

I don't mean to give the impression that the GFS set are muddy or anything close to that, but the 57s are quite bright.

Honestly, I like all of them, but the GFS are definitely the least bright of the three sets.

• Members

I have the Epi Studio with the GFS Alnico IIs, an Ibanez AX125 with Seth Lovers and an AX120 with 57 Classics. The 57s are the brightest and have the most output. The GFS and the Seth Lovers are about the same output, but the Seths have just a little bit more.

I don't mean to give the impression that the GFS set are muddy or anything close to that, but the 57s are quite bright.

Honestly, I like all of them, but the GFS are definitely the least bright of the three sets.

could the different wood and construction of the three guitars have any bearing in the equation? Just curious how much variance there would be if all of the pickups were installed in the same model guitar with the same construction and wood, etc.

• Members

I would have though they would be more on the brighter side tonewise...
:confused:

Alnico II magnets are typically going to be less bright and more warm sounding:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/faq/frequently-asked/choosing-the-ri/what_are_the_di/

Alnico II:

Good for
- Warming up a bright-sounding guitar

General Tone -
Warm, smooth, round, enhanced mids, soft and spongy bass, soft attack

• Members

could the different wood and construction of the three guitars have any bearing in the equation? Just curious how much variance there would be if all of the pickups were installed in the same model guitar with the same construction and wood, etc.

I don't know... The Epi is a full size LP, all mahogany, mahogany neck. The two Ibanez are SG-sized, double cuts, mahogany bodies and bolt on maple necks. The Ibbys also have 1 piece tailpiece/bridges while the Epi is a standard LP setup. All are 24.75" scale.

I'd expect the Ibanez to be a bit brighter than the Epi in general, but I was still a bit shocked at the difference between the 57s, the Lovers and the GFS Alnico IIs.

Again, I like all three sets of pickups.

Archived