Some pics from Alice in Chains last night...

3leggeddog

• Members

Does Jerry Cantrell sing all the songs live too? I thought there was a singer on the new album but also know Jerry Cantrell sang on the album and after listening to the whole album it sounds like the same singer throughout.

• Members

Yeah it caught me a little off-guard seeing him with that Tele. I think it's a G&L but the headstock looks slightly diff than most G&L's. And yeah, there is another singer. The dude with the 'fro in the pics I posted (his name is William DuVall) sings as well. He and Jerry harmonize on most of the songs, as Jerry and Layne did. Jerry's voice is what gives even the new material a very familiar "alice" sound, though DuVall is an excellent vocalist in his own right. All in all, I wasn't not dissapointed in the least with the show. They rock harder than any band I've seen, including very heavy acts like Slayer and LOG. They just have tastier vocals than the typical "metal scream".

• Members

Does the other singer ever sing lead though? It is weird because on the new album whoever is singing whichever song, it always songs like a pretty good copy of Layne's voice. Do they both cop that same vocal sound?

• Members

DuVall can hit those notes dead-on that I previously had though nobody but Layne could ever hit in the same way. He has a similiar quality to his voice as Layne...soulful yet almost "whiny" (in a good way). He does sing lead at times, but it seems like Jerry sings lead just as often. Their voices together harmonize in a very similar way to Jerry's and Layne's though, which is why it often still sounds like layne is singing

• Members

The tele is a Lush. A handmade one of a kind guitar.

William sings lead on all the old stuff that Layne sang lead on. Then they do co-leads on a few songs and Jerry sings lead on some of the others. The one song that is all William is "Last of My Kind." The lyrics and all vocals are William.

Jerry's rig is always being tweaked. There is no amps on stage, everything is done in guitar world with isochambers and a handful of expensive and rare amps. Jerry's tech, Dave, plays a large role in the effects switching and selection.

• Members

Jerry's guitar tone live is far superior to any recording. Can't say that about a lot of guitarist's rigs..

Completely agreed. Best live distorted tone I've ever heard...maybe besides Ty Tabor of King's X and AC/DC... Every chord and solo just {censored}ing rips. Can't say the same about most other bands..in fact most hi-gain guitar tones get completely muffled and buried at most shows I've gone to. Examples: Metallica, Trivium, Lamb of God, Chevelle, Muse, Bodom (to a certain extent), etc.

• Members

Jerry's rig is always being tweaked. There is no amps on stage, everything is done in guitar world with isochambers and a handful of expensive and rare amps. Jerry's tech, Dave, plays a large role in the effects switching and selection.

Are you sure? I saw a YT video where Jerry talks about his live rig: a Bogner Uberschall and Bogner Alchemist set to a vintage voiced setting, blended together for clarity and punch.

• Members

William sings lead on all the old stuff that Layne sang lead on. Then they do co-leads on a few songs and Jerry sings lead on some of the others. The one song that is all William is "Last of My Kind." The lyrics and all vocals are William.

Pretty much this.

I don't know how one can't distinguish Layne's voice over Jerry's. They have two different voices that harmonizes really well for AiC.

Same thing with Will. Totally different tone than Layne's, but he can hold off on his own really well, and imo, justifies the old AiC catalog.

• Members

I love AIC but I've always thought Cantrell looked like Garth from Waynes World.

I suppose he does in a way...

Jerry doesn't need looks, when he's got Bogners...

One of his main amps is a Bogner Shiva. His use of a Bogner Alchemist is news to me, and kind of suprising.

• Members

I suppose he does in a way...

Jerry doesn't need looks, when he's got Bogners...

One of his main amps is a Bogner Shiva. His use of a Bogner Alchemist is news to me, and kind of suprising.

I read recently that most of his amps are customized by Bogner's techs or Dave Friedman, by Jerry's requests. So, even though it starts out as a Bogner or Marshall stock amp, it gets modified.

http://guitaredge.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=392:alice-in-chains-all-secrets-known&catid=45:interviews&Itemid=66

Archived