3D TV JUST HYPE?

• CMS Author

From a news service report that came in today:

3D Movies Can Make You Sick

Avatar and other 3D movie blockbusters notwithstanding, watching these movies can make you feel ill. The problem is that viewing these films causes your eyes to respond unnaturally. This causes strain and tweaks muscles that are not usually used. Your eyes tend to roll inward in the process of trying - in vain - to follow the fast moving objects that seem to fly into your lap.

• Members

In the world of TV, 3-D is being adopted more quickly than HD in its early stages. There is a lot of content being developed, mostly sports.

There are also reportedly TV sets that can display 3-D without glasses. I don't understand how that can work, but I hope I get to see one at NAB in a couple of weeks.

Its not a sure thing, but 3-D TV has a good shot at succeeding.

• Members

I haven't seen a lot of 3-D movies (it's been a long time since I've been into fantasy and monster flicks). The 3-D movies I have seen seem to have had the 3-D effect exaggerated. I think having the image in front of the screen doesn't seem real, it might be more realistic if it were like looking out of a big window. The glasses have got to be inconvenient too. I vote for it going the way of quad audio, and AM stereo. Now some sort of holographic image projection into a special viewing room would really be cool, but I don't think I'll see that in my life time.

Archived