50's Les Paul Juniors are really plummeting in value

guitarmandp

• Members

It's a buyers market.

58; 59 & 60 LP Stds are not valued like they were 5 years ago.

They're still expensive.

You still need to have more cash than the regular guy.

If you paid market value for a vintage guitar 5 years ago, you'd be hard pressed to make a profit.

My advice is patience.

All of my true vintage guitars were bought years before things really got out of hand.

My '56 Jr was valued at $400.00 when I acquired it. My '62 SG/LP Jr was $325.00. '71 Gold Top LP w/wrap around tailpiece was a fortune back around 1990 at $750.00. Oh yeah, I paid less than $800.00 for my not yet vintage Gibson Lonnie Mack Flying V back in 1994. It should be worth more than most Lonnie Mack V's because it was the first one made from the original batch of 188.

Patience and remember buy low....sell high.

If you have the money and you want to buy guitars, my advice is to buy entry level vintage gear at todays right price. Buy used boutique gear if you're a player.

• Members

I paid $4,700 my 1961 LP Jr as a gigging instrument. It's the second most expensive thing I own behind my car and I sometimes wonder about how wise it was to purchase that guitar (sold 6 others to pay for it), but then I pick it up and strum it and it's all okay.
:)

I was speaking more about the $xx,xxx,xx and $xxx,xxx.xx priced guitars. Few of the people that are buying the holy grail Les Pauls are buying them to play them.

• Members

The 94 Lonnie Mack V is over 15 years old. Some would consider it vintage (I wouldn't)

I paid $3,500 for that guitar back in 2007. They were $5,000 back then. I thought I got the deal of a lifetime, now those guitars are worth about $3,000

If you would have bought that Lonnie Mack in 1994, you would have paid a lot less and make a profit today.

$3500.00 deal of a lifetime?

What would you consider less than $800.00 new for the first one made?

Timing, patience, luck.

• Members

If you would have bought that Lonnie Mack in 1994, you would have paid a lot less and make a profit today.

$3500.00 deal of a lifetime?

What would you consider less than $800.00 new for the first one made?

Timing, patience, luck.

Having the first one made does not increase the value.

Wildwood has an R9 with serial number 9 0001 and nobody has bought it. The cool serial # obviously hasn't had any impact on the value.

http://wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/gibson/historic_les_paul/90001/90001.php

$3,500 for a Lonnie Mack Flying V was a good deal in 2007 but not a good deal in 2010

• Members

You can find some 50's Juniors around $5k these days.

They're probably a better buy than some relic'd bull{censored} that you'll spend $5k on.

It depends what the relic'd guitar is.

rossington59.jpg

My Gary Rossington Murphy aged Les Paul was a $10,000 guitar a few years ago. Now it's probably worth $7,000.

• Members

Having the first one made does not increase the value.

Wildwood has an R9 with serial number 9 0001 and nobody has bought it. The cool serial # obviously hasn't had any impact on the value.

$3,500 for a Lonnie Mack Flying V was a good deal in 2007 but not a good deal in 2010

Maybe the R9 is a POS. It IS possible.

I remember playing a real 1960 burst and being very unimpressed.

I've had serious offers for my LM ($8K)

In this case, having # 1 does increase value.

http://www.rumbleseatmusic.com/guitar%20pic%20pages/94GibsonflyingVLMmint.html

• Members

Maybe the R9 is a POS. It IS possible.

I remember playing a real 1960 burst and being very unimpressed.

I've had serious offers for my LM ($8K)

In this case, having # 1 does increase value.

Does your even have serial # 001?

I would be shocked if you could get $8,000 in 2010.

My Lonnie Mack V isn't for sale right now but if somebody wants to offer me $8K for mine, I would sell it in a heartbeat.

Archived