50's Les Paul Juniors are really plummeting in value

guitarmandp

• Members

Looks like the '58 - '60 Standards are as expensive as ever

No they aren't. Those guitars were like half a million dollars a couple of years ago. Now they go for half of that.

I bought a couple of flying V's a few years ago that are worth way less than I paid. I bought a Jimi Hendrix flying V, and a Lonnie Mack flying V. Both of those guitars are worth a lot less than I paid.

• Members

still a pretty penny for what was intented as a student model - I dunno if I'm just getting jaded or if it's because I think in terms of utility rather than collectability, but that still strike me as more than those ought to cost.

• Members

I bought a couple of flying V's a few years ago that are worth way less than I paid. I bought a Jimi Hendrix flying V, and a Lonnie Mack flying V. Both of those guitars are worth a lot less than I paid.

They're not vintage guitars though, are they? Or am I missing something here?

• Members

They're not vintage guitars though, are they? Or am I missing something here?

The 94 Lonnie Mack V is over 15 years old. Some would consider it vintage (I wouldn't)

I paid $3,500 for that guitar back in 2007. They were $5,000 back then. I thought I got the deal of a lifetime, now those guitars are worth about $3,000

• Members

I've never viewed guitars as any kind of investment...especially electrics. They have no track record as collectibles to speak of. 50-60 years? That's not enough time to establish much of a record compared to most other antiques.

Guitars are tools to make music.

EG

• Members

They were $800 in the 90's....

Or less. I remember when Daddy's opened a store here (I think early 90s) they had a couple 59s for $600/each at their grand opening. I considered one for a while, but no one was into p-90s back then.

• Members

:D
I appreciate cool gear as much as anyone. But my investment $ don't go in guitars.

EG

Amen. Guitars as investments make zero sense unless you are buying "Blackie" and even that is overpriced.

I buy cheap guitars to play. I buy properties for investment. Real estate is the one thing that never goes down in value.

(unless it's swamp land or something). :p

• Members

I think there are very few that pay those prices for the playability of the guitar.

I paid $4,700 my 1961 LP Jr as a gigging instrument. It's the second most expensive thing I own behind my car and I sometimes wonder about how wise it was to purchase that guitar (sold 6 others to pay for it), but then I pick it up and strum it and it's all okay. :)

• Members

What planet have you been living on for the past 2 years?

The best one. I'm talking about long term financial holds. This is a very short term cycle to which I am forever greatful. I picked up a bargain on a quick sale recently and have already doubled my investment. :thu:

• Members

Amen. Guitars as investments make zero sense unless you are buying "Blackie" and even that is overpriced.

I buy cheap guitars to play. I buy properties for investment. Real estate is the one thing that never goes down in value.

(unless it's swamp land or something).
:p

Hate to break it to you guys, but guitars are a better investments than the stock market on average in the past 15 years. This is according to a few sources, including an NPR article and I think a CNBC one.

• Members

Collectible guitars, cars, anything "collectible" is just {censored}e to me. You can't use it, that devalues it. So the items sit around, and only have value to other people willing to buy something not to use it.

Stock market hasn't been useful for short gains for most people the last few years, but lets be clear; there are firms, banks, corporations, and entire businesses building skyscrapers and employing people to work the global financial system. There's obviously more money and avenues to explore there than anything collectible could ever hope to achieve. Bad decisions in either field will net you a loss.

• Members

still a pretty penny for what was intented as a student model - I dunno if I'm just getting jaded or if it's because I think in terms of utility rather than collectability, but that still strike me as more than those ought to cost.

It IS an awesome little guitar. But I kinda agree with you. I think you could get a reissue of one today and it'd sound pretty damned good. And you wouldn't have to worry about every little ding or sweat drop lowering the value of your "investment".

• Members

Hate to break it to you guys, but guitars are a better investments than the stock market on average in the past 15 years. This is according to a few sources, including an NPR article and I think a CNBC one.

That may have been true during the collector "boom" a few years ago but I doubt it still holds up. You got links to those articles?

Archived