question between les paul standard and studio

b_ryceeeee

• Members

Hey just wondering what you guys think of these two guitars quality wise and tone. I have a chance to pick up one or the other and I won't get to try them till next week. I know the decision is ultimately up to me but I just wanted to hear some helpful information about the two.

• Members

Whether a Tele or an LP, I'm a sucker for binding.

Besides that, the pickups are going to be different:

*Standard = BurstBucker Pros

*Studio = 490T, 490R

If the Studio is Worn or Vintage Mahogany, it's going to have a mahogany top instead of a maple cap and a multi-piece body.

I'm sure there's more that's not coming to mind.

• Members

I got the Studio I mentioned used or more correctly... trashed, dinged, scratched and bumped.

lptopbeforerestoring.jpg

Somewhere along the line, someone had sprayed a transparent overcoat on it. The electronics and pups were all screwed up.
I took it apart and got all the crud off the finish. I didn't refinish it since it was worn from use and I let it keep its history. In this shot you can see how Studios have thinner maple tops than Standards... yeah right. :facepalm: Look at the nice Ebony board.

lpsideview.jpg

Here it is finished. Fretwork, new top notch electronics, a set of Gibby 57 and 57 Plus. All new hardware. I loves me some binding and bling too but this was one bad ass Studio.

finishedlp2.jpg

• Members
I got the Studio I mentioned used or more correctly... trashed, dinged, scratched and bumped.

lptopbeforerestoring.jpg

Somewhere along the line, someone had sprayed a transparent overcoat on it. The electronics and pups were all screwed up.

I took it apart and got all the crud off the finish. I didn't refinish it since it was worn from use and I let it keep its history. In this shot you can see how Studios have thinner maple tops than Standards... yeah right.
:facepalm:
Look at the nice Ebony board.

lpsideview.jpg

Here it is finished. Fretwork, new top notch electronics, a set of Gibby 57 and 57 Plus. All new hardware. I loves me some binding and bling too but this was one bad ass Studio.

finishedlp2.jpg

Sweet looking studio. Are the 57's the pickups that they put in the custom lp.

• Members

Whether a Tele or an LP, I'm a sucker for binding.

Besides that, the pickups are going to be different:

*Standard = BurstBucker Pros

Studio = 490T, 490R

If the Studio is Worn or Vintage Mahogany, it's going to have a mahogany top instead of a maple cap and a multi-piece body.

I'm sure there's more that's not coming to mind.

Studios actually have the 490r and 498t :cop:

Which are the same as what they put in the custom.

I quite like Studios, ive never played a bad sounding one, you can get ones with ebony boards :love: although the frets on mine could be better (the really new ones are all plekked I think). Its been mentioned here a lot before, they are pretty much the same as standards minus small details like flame maple and binding etc, and I dont think (well, nobody does really) that the price difference is justified.

• Members

Sweet looking studio. Are the 57's the pickups that they put in the custom lp.

Sorry man, I don't know. Maybe one of the LP experts will let us know. On this particular guitar, I'm not sure that the pups that came with it were Gibson since I did by it used. I didn't care for the sound since they were a bit brittle and thin.

With the set of 57s, the guitar turned into a monster, with a huge full sound. At the same time, I had a EPI LP with the plus top. It was also fitted with 57s and the entire mod thing was done to it. It also turned out very well and honestly, both guitars were so close they were interchangeable. If you were standing in the next room, you couldn't tell which was being played.

Although I love the looks of the LP, I've never bonded with one, finally learning that they just aren't my thing. I sold both for a very nice profit. Now I mostly stick to semi hollows and single coils.

Archived