POISON IVY

Jimbroni

• Members

I know the main topic of convo round here is how much we hate the other place. But I have bigger problem.

YEP as the title proclaims, I got me some wicked poison ivy rash kickin.

My girlfriend bought a new house, which has been uninhabited for a long time, well I was cleaning up her plants and bushes. When I ran across this wierd vine, looked like grape vine but ugly. So I got all into it pulling and yanking cutting digging. The next day I got bumps everywhere, did some looking around and sure enough that was a very mature poison ivy plant. I didn't know poison ivy could get that big, and thick. The vine had bark on it, for crying out loud. None the less, its been a week and its still going strong. Anybody know any tricks to get rid of this, its brutal. I feel like a leper, I don't wanna go near anyone, and no one one wants to come near me. HELP!!!

• CMS Author

While it probably won't help after a week, there's a soap called Tecnu that really helps for me. I have a lot of poison oak around my house and no matter how well covered I am, when I get to close to it I start to itch. If I actually touch it, I can get pretty nasty blisters. My doctor suggested keeping a bottle of Tecnu handy for the next time I get into it, washing my hands, arms, and face as soon as I get back into the house, and it seems to work. It's made of some stuff that removes the oil that carries the poison in poison plants. It's soothing after the blisters start to appear, but at that point it's only helpful in keeping it from spreading. The company has a companion product called CalaGel, which is the active ingredient in calamine lotion in a gel that seems to stay put longer than the famous pink lotion of which you're gonna need an ocean.

incidentally, it sneaks up on me. I don't start itching until a couple of days after I've been exposed, and the blisters come later in the week. I never got poison ivy as a kid, but I seem to have developed a serious sensitivity to it, and for most growing green things (I take an antihistimine before I mow the lawn) in later life.

• Members

Yeah I have been using that Technu to slow the spreading down before I get in the shower, but even then its still spreading a little. The main thing is the blisters, that I already have are not budging. I have been using the calamine, and benedryl.

• Members

I know the main topic of convo round here is how much we hate the other place. But I have bigger problem.

YEP as the title proclaims, I got me some wicked poison ivy rash kickin.

My girlfriend bought a new house, which has been uninhabited for a long time, well I was cleaning up her plants and bushes. When I ran across this wierd vine, looked like grape vine but ugly. So I got all into it pulling and yanking cutting digging. The next day I got bumps everywhere, did some looking around and sure enough that was a very mature poison ivy plant. I didn't know poison ivy could get that big, and thick. The vine had bark on it, for crying out loud. None the less, its been a week and its still going strong. Anybody know any tricks to get rid of this, its brutal. I feel like a leper, I don't wanna go near anyone, and no one one wants to come near me. HELP!!!

Doctor. If it's bad enough they'll give you oral steroids which really work pretty quickly. It's possible to have a systemic reaction where your skin goes nuts and you swell up like a grape... happened to my wife.

If it's not bad enough, you have to tough it out with calamine lotion or the other over the counter stuff. My wife insists that the key to beating it is keeping it dry, which is another thing calamine helps with besides the itching.

Make sure that you're not re-exposing yourself. Anything you handled or touched the day you were playing with the vines needs to be cleaned with soap and water- that goes for your clothing, shed door, garden tools, sheets/pillowcases, door knobs, steering wheel, etc etc.

Last step is familiarize yourself with every manifestation of the plant. It can look really different from season to season and location to location, and once you're allergic, you only get more allergic.

• Members

Well the rash is finally stopped, though I still have a few welts that are healing. But wow, that kicked my butt. I eventually started using rubbing alcohol, on the bumps, as well as cleaning all the normal everyday stuff that I come into contact with, like the inside of my car, door knobs, remotes, etc. Then I started using this anti aging cream that my girl friend has, which is mostly vitamin C based. Based on links you guys provided it seems like vitamin C is pretty helpful for this. And once I started using alcohol and that, along with a multivitamin, It started drying up pretty quickly.

• Members

Well the rash is finally stopped, though I still have a few welts that are healing. But wow, that kicked my butt. I eventually started using rubbing alcohol, on the bumps, as well as cleaning all the normal everyday stuff that I come into contact with, like the inside of my car, door knobs, remotes, etc. Then I started using this anti aging cream that my girl friend has, which is mostly vitamin C based. Based on links you guys provided it seems like vitamin C is pretty helpful for this. And once I started using alcohol and that, along with a multivitamin, It started drying up pretty quickly.

Your girlfriend is lucky you didn't come inside feeling feisty after pulling the vines. :lol:

• Members

Your girlfriend is lucky you didn't come inside feeling feisty after pulling the vines.
:lol:

Hmmm... a carefully placed comma could make that sentence sound even more provocative.

Archived