What is everyones favorite GFS Humbucker?

burton4snow

• Members

I want to get a pair of these just for fun to see how they are. I'll be putting these in a semi solid body guitar Les paul copy. Who has had the best luck with what. I play a little of everything but I am not looking for heavy metal pickups. Something that will go from Jazz to classic rock.

I know some people are going to suggest other brands but please just stick with GFS recomendations, because no matter what I am going to buy a pair of these pickups just out of pure curiousity of the cheap price and the rave reviews!

• Members

I would like to try the EVH and the Dream pickups.

I did try the Vintage 59 and Fat PAF and did not like those so much however.

Alright i will stay away from those! The Dream 180s seem to be popular when doing a search on GFS pickups.

• Members

Pretty lady in your avatar pic BTW.
:thu:

Thats Ruyter Suys the lead guitarist for Nashville Pussy. One of the few bands still doing balls out Rock'n'Roll. She's insane on stage just like Angus. Check out there website in my sig and definately check out there show its pure entertainment from start to finish. Also the bass players is hot too!

• Members

Only GFS pickups I have are crunchy rails. If you aren't into metal, you don't want them. They do metal very well, but not good clean.

There is a set of dream 180s in the spam thread.

I know I'm not supposed to suggest other pickups, but these are cheap, about $70 shipped for a pair, and really, really good.

http://www.wilburncustomshop.com/Parts/humbuckers.html

• Members

so much however.

What? Really? Dammit.

I just got one in the mail today and was going to put it in a project guitar that I'm currently finishing. What didn't you like about it? Did I just mess up pretty bad? I wanted the VEH pickup but the description made it sound bassy and muddy.

• Members

Favorite by FAR is the Hot Liverpool.Spanky,chimey and a tight lowend.Its like a Tele pickup on steroids with no hum IMO

I've got the Crunchy rails which i thought i loved till i got the Liverpool.

I just put a VEH in my explorer kit and it sounds completely flat/lifeless,although that may be the guitar,but i'm gonna send it back for a Dream 180 or 90

• Members

I play a little of everything but I am not looking for heavy metal pickups. Something that will go from Jazz to classic rock.

Same here, that's why I went for the Vintage 59s. What the hell...$78 for a set, give them a try!

• Members

Nashville Retrotrons. The nicest clear tone in a neck pickup I've ever had. And the overdrive nicely in a vintage kind of way. I might suggest the hotter version of the bridge pickup, the standard seems to be just a slight bit underpowered compared to the neck.

• Moderators

I love GFS Strat and Tele pickups but I have yet to finbd a bucker of theirs I like.

Had and didn't like

Fat pat

Crunchy pat

Vintage 59

VEH

Now don't get me wrong, theyre decent, just not as good as for instance Toneriders buckers, but I suspect for most cheapies, they'll be a stepup

Now as above, I rate their single coils a lot higher

• Members

Based on the sound you're looking for, I'd suggest a Dream-180 in the bridge and either a Mean-90 or Dream-90 in the neck (the Dream-90 is MUCH mellower/ refined... not a great Blues/Rock pickup, but good for Jazz).

Out of the GFS Humbuckers that I've tried, my favorites so far are the Dream-180s in my LP Studio Lite. They just sound great in that guitar, IMO.

Secondly, I thought that the VEH was a GREAT match for my BC Rich Masterpeice Mock... good RNR tones :thu:.

Then, the Mean-90 in the bridge position of my Sheena; to me, it makes that guitar sound like a tele on steroids.

The ones that I didn't care all that much for were the 'Crunchy' PATs... they just seemed lifeless to me, but that could be because I put them in a lifeless Jay Turser guitar :idk:

I've also got a set of Nashvilles waiting for a project as well as a set of lipstick humbuckers that a friend is selling me.

One more thing: I was also HIGHLY surprised by the 'clearance' set of covered pickups that came in my pre-wired pickguard from Jay. I put them in my 'hog Squier and they took that guitar to a whole other level.

Archived