Is it possible to refret without leveling and crowning?

seahorse

• Members

Before you say this sounds crazy, I was just thinking about all of those import guitars like Ibanez, ESP, Epiphone, Squire, etc.., that run in the $ 200 - $400 range. You just know the factories aren't spending a lot of time leveling and crowning....it's probably some machine that just stamps the frets in and then sends the guitars out by the truckload. :D

Most of these guitars have pretty good fretwork. Also, lot of refrets appear as if too much of the frets have been filed away before they're finished. :freak: It's like three years worth of wear on the frets before you've played a note.

In theory, if the neck is really straight; would just tapping in new frets be any different than what a high volume factory would do. :idk:

• Members

i would say no... because no matter what the neck is made of wood and the frets are rolled out of a machine that I imagine has somewhat loose tolerances, especially on cheaper guitars that are using lower quality frets (they wear much faster in my experience) ... both will never be totally 100% uniform.

that being said there is no reason you need to take off half of the frets to get something level.

• Members

I actually believe that in some cases that the new frets are installed and if the fretboard is right that there is no need to level them. I'm not certain, but I believe that I've seen it somewhere; probably youtube or how it's made or something.

Archived