Happy St. George's Day

• Members

Rock Lobster ... sounds good. I started with a nice cool glass of Aspall Premier Cru Suffolk Cyder in the garden while the sun still had some warmth, then a couple of Greene King IPAs later on.

Boddingtons for me. Followed by a Hobgoblin, or something like that...

I think I've tried Rock Lobster - I think it's an ale of Derbyshire and the north.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

... and I've always found it strange that Scots and Irish woudl rather support Uruguay than England in the World Cup. It's almost as though they have a chip about it or something.

:lol:

Well, let's be honest, it's not as if Scotland, or NI has a real shot. And, in today's world, the refusal to have one British team.......just strange. I mean, if Jews and Palestinians can play for Israel....

But if we talk Six Nations.....:poke:

• Members

WARM beer. :poke:

Actually, that's not really true. Traditionally the beer was in a cellar and hand-pumped up to the pub, so it would be cooler than room temperature, albeit not cold by US standards.

Besides, I have it on good authority that if you put a Newk in a fridge, it will in fact get cold.

• Members

I'm currently in St Ives, Cornwall, where I drink Rattler -- a superb sparkling cloudy cider you can't get in da Sahf -- during the day.

And cava with Lovely Gurlfiend over dinner.

As for Brithood-vs-Englishness -- I was made in England (London ...) from ingredients imported from Hungary and Austria ... and I ain't comfortable with an identity which specifically excludes the Scots and Welsh ...

Hell wit' it. When I was 21 I had a drunken lunch with Lou Reed and he told me I was a closet American ... whatever that means.

Whassat? Yeah, 'nother pint ...

• Members

Mind you, after hearing Alex Salmond on Radio 4 today, I'm thinking of migrating north and getting myself some Scottish nationality. He wants to scrap Trident completely, and wants to get rid of prescription charges.

Quite refreshing after the bllx coming from the 'Westminster' leaders, who are panicking much more about the possibility of a hung parliament than they are about conveying any concrete policies. Also, we are expected to cast our vote now around some insipid personality contest, based on a tv debate. I don't have to like the {censored}er (most of them are bandits after all). I just want him to be a competent {censored}er, preferably with some interest in health (not just his own), education and maybe a bit of democratic culture... and not spitting tacks over immigration.

Anyway, back to George. Who was he again?

• Members

Hallo.

I'm a bit late and all, and I don't really give a toss for the politics, but I thought I should at least show my face in the thread since I am one of the (ex) limeys on the hceg.

Least, I fink I woz English...wunce...

• Members

Hallo.

I'm a bit late and all, and I don't really give a toss for the politics, but I thought I should at least show my face in the thread since I am one of the (ex) limeys on the hceg.

Least, I fink I woz English...wunce...

You mean to say you are NOT interested in the spectacle of three men, two of whom wouldn't look out of place in carphone warehouse, and one of whom looks like he'd rather be anywhere else, discussing what might not happen in the future?

This be strange and wonderful indeed.

• Members

You mean to say you are NOT interested in the spectacle of three men, two of whom wouldn't look out of place in carphone warehouse, and one of whom looks like he'd rather be anywhere else, discussing what might not happen in the future?

This be strange and wonderful indeed.

Well, when you put it like that...

Archived