Hey PRS experts... does this guitar look fishy?

cvogue

• Members

Suspicious PRS

First of all he's wrong, it doesn't have the 5 way rotary switch it's got a 3 way Les Paul like selector... could just be an oversight (I think this is a store of some kind).

Doesn't look like it has locking tuners and I thought all the American made PRS's did.

Also, the way it's described... I thought a PRS was a CE or a Custom, but not both!

Whatchya think EG?

• Members

If you enlarge the picture of the rear of the headstock you can see the tuners apparently have been changed, since you can see the old screw holes.

Yeah noticed that... but the new ones look like they're not locking. Wonder why they'd swap out the old tuners?

• Members

I think what he has is a PRS CE that he has mis-identified, and one that has been modded by an idiot...

It's got a roller nut as well, definitely not stock...

Worth buying though? Price is way low (right now)...

• Members

CE designates bolt on neck in PRS.

I have not seen one with a stained neck before but PRS are famous for all kinds of special runs and some do not carry comments on the back of the headstock.

Some PRS come with 5 way rotary and odd ones come from the factory with 3 way and push/pull coil tap on tone pot. Again PRS are not completely consistent and this is also a really popular mod by owners as it is quite easy to do.

The tuners have obviously been changed but that may have been someone who preferred the ebony buttons on the ones fitted now.

Looks on face value like a CE24 special run to clone a McCarty style with changed tuners

• Members

Do you think the body is mahogany or alder? I'm wondering if it has the wide thin or wide fat neck also...

Thanks for the insight guys!

:thu:

Edit - He added more info, it's mahogany and has a push/pull pot for the tone control.

• Members

Yeah noticed that... but the new ones look like they're not locking. Wonder why they'd swap out the old tuners?

My guess is that he got sick of holding up the neck. The weight of locking tuners can get really annoying on a guitar that doesn

• Members

It's real. It's a CE24 with non original pups & tuners. In fact, the pups may be original but the nickel covers are not.

The serial number shows it to be a 1997 and in that year they were mahogany bodies with maple tops.

The tuners look like PRS SE tuners. This is not uncommon. PRS locking tuners demand a fairly high price and may have been sold off at some point. The CE24 I have came with those same SE tuners for that reason.

The stained neck may be a factory special run. If not, it seems to be well done anyway.

CE's could also be had with the 5 way rotary or 3 way toggle-push/pull. It's very common for the owner to swap the rotary for the 3 way. I've done that on all 4 CE24's I've owned.

Just a guess but I think that guitar will sell for around $950- $1050.

My guess is that he got sick of holding up the neck. The weight of locking tuners can get really annoying on a guitar that doesn

• Members

it's a CE that has been bastardized.

the 3 way switch and push/pull is ALA McCarty models which I like better than my Custom 24 rotary knob which is probably Pauls dumbest idea.

The neck is standard with the tobacco burst in the late 90's. shame about the tuners - mine rock!!

I may bid if I can get it for about 650.00

good luck

• Members

It's real. It's a CE24 with non original pups & tuners. In fact, the pups may be original but the nickel covers are not.

Why do you say that? Did CE24's never come with pickup covers?

Thanks, great post!

• Members

Why do you say that? Did CE24's never come with pickup covers?

Thanks, great post!

CE24's came stock with black, open coil pups.

HFS bridge, Vintage Bass neck.

CE22's did have covers on the pups but not the 24's.

• Members

Well I lost the auction... I'm bummed but I had a budget to stay in.

It finally went for $965.

Edit - Hey did one of you swoop in and snipe on this?!?! :mad::mad::mad:

Turns out the pickups are McCartys... :facepalm: I should have bid more.

• Members

965.00 was too much for me!!

Well I lost the auction... I'm bummed but I had a budget to stay in.

It finally went for $965.

Edit - Hey did one of you swoop in and snipe on this?!?!
:mad:

Turns out the pickups are McCartys...
:facepalm:
I should have bid more.

• Members

I paid $900 for my non-flame '98 PRS CE 24. Love it. It had different tuners and someone had replaced the rotary selector with a 3-way just like that one.

If I was in the market I would have paid up to $1100 for it in that condition.

Archived