Ishibashi new rules for overseas buyers & a few comments about ebay.

cobberdig

• Members

I just bought a bass guitar from the Ishibashi ubox in Japan. I bought a guitar from them a few years ago which was extremely fruitful as i ended up with a great axe for relatively little. Anyway they now have a new rule stipulating a minimum purchase of 50000Y for overseas customers which presented a problem as the bass was only 23000Y so to rectify this i bought a few boss fx pedals which hopefully i can off load on ebay without losing too much money hopefully none. which prompted the thought wouldn't be great to track the items people are bidding most on ebay would be handy...

• Members

wow, yeah I read what they have at their site too...so they changed the freakin rules again?...maybe the e-bay thing hasn`t been working out too good. anyways...I`m in Japan so I don`t care but find their prices have gone really high on a lot of stuff so I haven`t bought off them for a couple of years. The vast majority of stuff I have bought comes from local shops, just too many people outside Japan on the U-Box now...can`t find the great deals I used to. Plus...we have the nation wide pawn shop chains that have proven fruitful for me...good luck to you gaijins overseas...

• Members

Yeah it's gotten pretty tough. I'm not really buying anymore but deals are more and more rare (like that DS280). Even yahoo auctions japan is pretty lame these days.

I'd bet they'll reverse their policy pretty soon though. Their ebay set up is {censored}, and doesn't have near the selection the U box does. I'm guessing that as a few months have gone by their sales have dropped and they've completely under estimated how much money was coming from foreigners into the U box.

• Members

Soundcreation yeah the policy was stipulated to me through email. a very long apologetic email about staff cuts and labour costs structural changes to ishibashi etc, etc.

You are probably both right about the selection in ubox & yahoo jp , but i dunno i don't often look at it. Its a bit like every good thing - cant stay a secret for ever. ha!... especially when we get on forums like these and brag...

the guitar i bought is a yamaha SB-500. I've always wanted one purely on looks. It sorta looks like a jazz bass but with a headstock shape same as ibanez/cimar blazer. They are hard to find, even harder to find a good one that hasn't been flogged too bad. They are not high end, I think nato body maple neck but indeed they look cool. Here's hoping it survives transit.

• Members

I just copied this below from their site...for such a large company seems to me that sometimes they are pretty {censored}ed up...so are they or are they not shipping overseas from the U-Box? Sounds like they haven`t decided yet...or have re-decided and haven`t updated the web site?...yeah I know this is golden week and may be running on a skeleton crew but dang I wish they`d get a grip on what they`re doing. Once Koichi left the place seems to have gone to hell...he was the guy I always dealt with but maybe he got fed up with how they run things...staff turn over at the local chain shops is huge, there seems to be new people almost every week at the Rock Inn.

"This ISHIBASHI WEB SHOP handles new products for customers who live in Japan. For international customers who are interested in purchasing used items, another department offers selected items on eBay."

http://stores.ebay.com/ishibashimusic

• Members

"This ISHIBASHI WEB SHOP handles new products for customers who live in Japan. For international customers who are interested in purchasing used items, another department offers selected items on eBay."

Yeah i hadn't seen this before but its sort of consistent with the dealings I've just had with them. All the international orders are put through the "Shibuya" store, i think maybe in the past they had a seperate dept just for ubox but i dunno. I also asked them if the web-shop ( as opposed to the ubox) was open to international customers which the response was "no" but when i listed off a few items from the web shop they sent me back a quote so either no was meant to be yes or maybe it depends on who you deal with. The biggest thing though is 50000 JPY minimum i haven't looked in there ebay store but i'm guessing everything must be over 50000JPY?

i can cut and paste the emails if you super keen.

• Members

maybe because Shibuya has the English speaking woman...used to be Koichi and a guy who called himself Ace...I`ve forgotten the woman`s name now, not that it matters `cause I`ve pretty much given up on them. Last time we had a mail exchange was on the ratings they give their guitars...evidently they have no real system, just depends on who is looking at a guitar in any given shop so a B to one might be a C to another...I asked for pics of the frets on one but they sent me pics of the neck...anyways...I have been lucky over the years with used shops in and around this city so I shouldn`t complain.

Archived