PRS 5 position switch sounds...

cvogue

• Members

So what do the three middle switch positions sound like? I know you get bridge humbucker only or neck humbucker only with the outside positions but what do the 3 internal ones sound like?

From the PRS site:

* Position 10: Treble pickup

* Position 9: Outside coils- deep and clear - parallel

* Position 8: Series single coils

• Members

7 and 9 are kind of tonal variations on "generic Fender" with two PU's on. Both are weaker than either straight HB setting because of the parallel wiring and they have a little midrange phase-y-ness going on. There is more phase canceling going on in position #7 because of the Pu spacing.

Position 8 is in series, not unlike the two coils of a humbucker, noticeably more output than #7 or #9, but not quite as fat as a humbucker.

PRS used to informally refer to #8 as the Tele setting and #7 as the Strat setting.

• Members

If you switch over to a Les Paul style 3 way pickup switch and a push pull pot, do you lose much as far as tones go? Seems like the 5 way switch gets you parallel/series combos that you wouldn't be able to get with a 3-way/push/pull set up.

But you gain the dual humbucker tone (which is my main tone I use on my Les Paul).

Just wondering, thanks!

• Members

7 and 9 are kind of tonal variations on "generic Fender" with two PU's on........PRS used to informally refer to #8 as the Tele setting and #7 as the Strat setting.

That's pretty accurate and what I hear from my CE24. Not dead on, but in the Fender ball park. I like the "tele middle pos." type tone#9 for clean stuff and it's a click away from the bridge only so I use it often.#7 is fender-esque and stratty. #8 I dont like and would prefer it to be both humbuckers on like a les paul middle sound. I'd like to figure out how to wire it for that.

• Members

That's pretty accurate and what I hear from my CE24. Not dead on, but in the Fender ball park. I like the "tele middle pos." type tone#9 for clean stuff and it's a click away from the bridge only so I use it often.#7 is fender-esque and stratty. #8 I dont like and would prefer it to be both humbuckers on like a les paul middle sound. I'd like to figure out how to wire it for that.

I agree 100% on the 8 setting.

That would be a killer option on that guitar.

If you figure it out, let me know.

• Members

If you switch over to a Les Paul style 3 way pickup switch and a push pull pot, do you lose much as far as tones go? Seems like the 5 way switch gets you parallel/series combos that you wouldn't be able to get with a 3-way/push/pull set up.

But you gain the dual humbucker tone (which is my main tone I use on my Les Paul).

Just wondering, thanks!

do a three way plus two push pulls.

then you can get inside-outside coils or inside/outside plus in-out of phase.

and the dual hbs

• Members

i have a CE24 with the rotary. pain in the ass for gigging and would defnitely consider changing it for the toggle/push pull

i replaced my HFS/Vintage bass with SD Custom5/Jazz (had to reverse one of the magnets to make use of 5way rotary properly but can add some comments)

the inbetween sounds have a noticable volume drop, but i love using them with high gain and rolling off the volume...especially the bridge inbetween.

the neck inbetween is glassish...but nothing like a true single coil.

dont really use middle position...this one doesnt have as much volume drop compared to the other inbetweens.

• Members

i have a CE24 with the rotary. pain in the ass for gigging and would defnitely consider changing it for the toggle/push pull

It's really no different from a 5 way strat switch. On both, you have to remember where you are starting from in order to switch without looking. The strat might be slightly easier, but I think that we've all just gotten used to it.

On the PRS, I have three sounds that I use most of the time (10, 9, and 6). 9 sounds amazing through a Vox tube amp, but you have to boost the levels for it to be as loud as 10 and 6. Like anything, you figure it out in short order, and overall, I prefer not having push/pull pots. Too many settings on the guitar get in the way of my performance.

I use my CE24 and CE22 with my band because I think that the basic humbucker settings are really punchy and they cut really well; then you have the magic 9 setting which really does sound like a single coil pickup, and since the pickups are 12 to 14 K, it doesn't sound as thin as most split coils in parallel. Just a bit of compression and you have a great clean sound to go with the beefy humbuckers.

At home and in my studio, I prefer my Fenders, Gibsons, and Gretsches, but the PRS CE22 and 24 are great performers. They stay in tune even when you lean hard on the wanker bar, and they are exceptionally comfortable to play for extended sets.

• Members

IMO its way easier to flick a strat switch/toggle compared to twisting a knob.

but i agree...for live use i love my prs (when i actually played live)

just easy to play and is a good compromise for a lot of sounds

i find when i play a strat...i play more stratty and same with lespauls.

but the PRS i have a diffrent yet similiar inbetween style.

Archived