Any guitarist's in here that play drums too?

SnoMan97

• Members

well, ya see, one's a drum expo solo featuring three of the greatest players ever doing a solo .... and the other's a band setting.

it's kinda different.

you'll have a hard time finding anyone that can lay down a groove like steve gadd.

• Members

i play drums on my thighs quite a bit.

I read somewhere that the drummer for Anthrax did quite a few of their guitar solo's back in the day. Quick google and apparently he is a decent guitar player, he writes most of their songs.

[YOUTUBE]LfECLZgZItc[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I've played guitar for 7 years and have only scratched the surface of what I think is possible... But when a friend gave me half of his old drum kit a few years ago, (just the bass, snare, a floor tom and two rack toms), it was like I had been playing drums my entire life. Playing the drums was totally natural to me. That's not saying I'm good, but it's still something.

Actually, in 2005 I went to a music festival and somebody brought a tiny impromptu-jam drum kit and left if outside by their campsite during the festival and let anybody play it. I found it again in the middle of the night on one of my acid adventures and just sat down and started wailing. This was the first time I'd ever played drums, but I got REALLY into it! A few groups of random people actually showed up out of nowhere along their own journeys to compliment me on my playing, which I thought was a joke, so I let one of these guys hop on the kit...

And it was like he was a retarded baby. He just couldn't do it. Arms flailing everywhere, he gave up after about 15 seconds. I was like "damn! I need to get myself a drum kit!"

I still only have the half-kit my friend gave me, I know nothing about cymbals and would rather spend the money on guitar stuff, but a few weeks ago one of my friends called me up and said his drummer just quit and they need a replacement drummer for a show two days away. I hadn't really sat down and played for a year or two, but I offered to drum for him because I thought it'd be fun.

The only caveat was that we wouldn't be using cymbals at all, because the kit I have doesn't have cymbals and it would just {censored} me right up.

So he came over for an hour and we reheared each song twice. I recorded the entire thing so I'd have something to listen to on my own time to try and get my {censored} together, and it turned out pretty good for someone who hadn't touched a kit in a year. This is one of my favourite songs we recorded... Full of little inconsistencies, this was only the second time we'd gone through the song, but I'm happy with it. And the show was {censored}ing awesome. :D

http://soundcloud.com/robotoroboros/saviour-soul

• Members

I play basic grooves. Even played in a band for one year. I don't call myself a drummer, of course, but for home recording purposes, I have usable skills. I played percussions as well, including bodhran in an irish band (in which I also played mandolin, banjo and guitar).

• Members

well, ya see, one's a drum expo solo featuring three of the greatest players ever doing a solo .... and the other's a band setting.

it's kinda different.

you'll have a hard time finding anyone that can lay down a groove like steve gadd.

Gadd is in an entirely different league. Kinda like Cobham, White, Bruford. I'd still have to say that Gadd is the most musical drummer of all out there. His arrangements are magical. Behind that I'd go with Bruford.

• Members

I started drums at age 7, 1971 then after the 80's i slowed down a bit. Bought a guitar and messed with it and caught on pretty quick, went back and forth with both. The last 2 1/2 yrs has been guitar, its more addicting with never ending GAS lol

• Members

I'm primarily a guitar player and decent drummer. In order to be good at any instrument you have to spend a lot of time learning and maintaining your chops. The hardest part is finding the time for more than one.

Archived